CAV GT40

Ron no problem!! We all have bad days. Maybe I did read too much in to it. Any ways I will send the pics to Wayne to post on to the site he was using to show these pics before.
Have a better day!!!

frknfast Gulf GT40

Gary I have sent the pics to you by direct email. I hope you can post them all.

frknfast Gulf GT40

THX Gary!! the pics look great!! It would be intersting to see how many hits you get on this page.

frknfast Gulf GT40

Hi, I am a CAV owner since December 2002. I had the dealer have my 302 crate engine from Ford SVO ready to install when the car arrived. It has aluminum X heads, a Victor Jr. intake, a Kevco 9qt. wet sump oil pan, and a 600 Hollie. It took 4 days to get the car road tested and delivered to my home. I have over 700 miles on it and have not had any problems. It starts every time I get in it and I consider it as dependable as my Toyota pickup truck. As for all you GT-40 builders, its much more fun to drive than to turn a wrench. By the way CAV and Nastalgia in Rockhill, So. Carolina could not have been any better people to do business with.

CAV dealer, David Wagner was kind enough to see that a flywheel and clutch assembly was shipped to my door so I can get the engine balanced and assembled, thus be ready to install when #51 gets here. So far my experience this dealer has been very good.

CAV #51
Lemans Blue
Owner built 302
Getrag Trans
smile.gif

Joseph congrats on your ride!! Only 700 miles since Dec 02??? I thought you guys had great weather in Atlanta? You should be out driving more dude.

frknfast Gulf GT40

Victor when is your car expexted to arrive? Also my car # is 47, just a few ahead of yours. Mine is to leave dock today and be here in approx 4 weeks. I'm glad both you and Joseph are having good results with your dealer. Since mine is the first into Canada both the dealer and I are working through the the whole process. The first is always the toughest and then the rest should be a cakewalk after that.
As I'm sure you are I await with great anticipation

frknfast Gulf GT40

FRKNFAST- my car was supposed to be delivered the end of may as it is built. I received a call from the dealer that another car was ordered. from I understand they want to put both cars in the container and the secound car wasn't quite finished. Looks like the 2cd or 3rd week of June. I will be more than ready and I can do some fine tuning on the engine.

VIC

CAV #51
Lemans Blue
Owner built 302 with Stack Inj.
Getrag trans
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JOSEPH:
As for all you GT-40 builders, its much more fun to drive than to turn a wrench. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps you're right. Would you agree, though, that the driving and ownership experience would be even more enjoyable if you built the car yourself?

Welcome to the forum, Joseph.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JOSEPH:
As for all you GT-40 builders, its much more fun to drive than to turn a wrench.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm new and just getting into 40s and wanting to build one. Good thing I can do both, that is drive AND turn wrenches. I can enjoy twice as much as you!
smile.gif

What replicas can I choose from if I don't want the easy road?

Fred

Hi Guys, JOSEPH is a good friend of mine. We speak on a regular basis. I can't say I have ever heard of anyone so happy with car before, or the purchasing experience, or the service for that matter. he says the CAVs are the REAL DEAL. Up and running in no time and a real head turner, beautifully finished and fast. Alas, I'd have to sell the kids to get a turn key....
Brian

For all you guys that plan to use a getrag 016 here in the States, after looking all over the country it seems that Audi only imported two 5 speeds. One is the 5N and the other is the AAZ. There seems to be more 5N's available than the AAZ. They both were used in the Audi 5000. From what I have been told is that the 5N's first gear is almost usless because you have to shift at about 10 mph. I purchased an AAZ for $275 including shipping. I can shift it at a little over 30 mph, which makes it useable. Please excuse me for bragging about the price. The best part was I had a transmission place open it up to inspect it the told me it was either just rebuilt or the car it came out of had very few miles on it when it got wrecked. It is also sincronized in all gears, even reverse. By accident once while going to shift into reverse I slipped off the clutch and it went into reverse anyway. I hope this has been some help. I have heard that 5th gear can be changed for better top speed. if someone could put me in the right direction I sure would appreciate it.

For all you guys that want to turn wrenches and drive. Build your own motor and have it waiting for a completed car minus the motor and trans. This will get you on the road much faster and will probably save you a lot of money and heartache. Over the years it seems to me that if a kit is not finished in about 2 years it most likely will not get finished. I have talked to quite a few builders that have them sitting in their garage and saying that they haven't worked on them for a long time for many different reasons. The big one is that they have ran out of money or they hhve lost interest because it takes so long to complete. There is a guy in my area that has been working on his for about 6 or 7 years now. Anyway, a GT-40 is not like a Cobra to build. It is much more complicated, but you realy have something to be proud of and a much cooler car when you pull into the local mall to go shopping. I wish all you guys the best of luck. And if you have started DON'T QUIT. Oh, the reason I only have 700 miles on my " BLUE BEAUTY " is because it seems to have been raining here for at least 40 days and 40 nights.

Joseph,
It is good to see your enthusiasm for your CAV GT40. They are neat cars. Building your own GT is a choice many make for reasons of pleasure or be it for economy purposes.
One thing some tend to forget is that other GT companies are capable of turn key minus GT40s other than CAV. ERA and Roaring Forties come to mind.
Remember it's about having a choice so if you prefer a turn key minus then you owe it to yourself to campare and shop for what's best for you. It's good that you got what you want.
I am pleased to be able to say "I built it," when someone asks. It took only seven months and 28 days to build my car. That's because the kit came with everything needed to build it.
Enjoy your GT. I hope we meet someday at an event for the GT's.

Hersh
smile.gif

Joseph, my RF arrived late january and with luck (depends upon Gordon's engine building schedul) will be on the road soon. All I can say is that a great deal of the joy has been working with my son "on turning the wrenches". We have not worked night and day (we are touring colleges for my son). Mostly weekends and maybe an hour or to during the week. Most of this is due to the outstanding engineering and construction that is enharent in an RF40 not the skill of the Dad. This was in reality the last opertunity to do something of significane with my son (he is off to university next year) and it has and will be one of the most memorable and important projects in my life.

Ron Earp

Admin
I think it is easy for people to "lost" researching GT40s these days. And, I think it is easy for people to forget that different people are after different things.

As Hershal stated, all of these companies build turnkey cars to specification. The CAVs are nice cars but aren't the only game in town with turnkey availablity. Plus, there may be more room for customization with other manufacturers with respect to special wishes - certain gauges, components, etc., etc.

I like driving, that is for damn sure, but as slow as I am (I *might* get in 1 hour of work tonight if I am lucky) I still enjoy it. I don't think any feeling will be able to replace the "I built it" feeling, at least that is what I've experienced from my other hobbies. And, if I can build it myself and drive it well on the track I'll be in hog heaven!
wink.gif
wink.gif
smile.gif
And if I can't, well I suppose I still built it, I can take more driving lessons, and change the setup.

The good thing is that everyone here enjoys the 40s, and that is what counts!

Ron

[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: Ron Earp ]

Back