CAV Kits available in the UK

Thruxton sportscars are now able to provide CAVGT cars in kit form and modular packages for term building. The very high quality of the CAV is maintained but does give the UK market a much more favourable option to build individual cars over a period of time to suit the owner. Contact Rick Chattell at Thruxton Sportscars or on 07771844884.

From what I understand these will work out expensive for a self build but at least you can budget in stages. And they do make a very nice car. Rick's email is [email protected] and his landline is 01428 664276. Rick also has a number of complete cars and rolling chassis for sale - see the price list at Thruxton Sports Cars.

Rob
"Life begins at 40"

I am I right? This kit was on display at the Great Western Kit Car show. The body chasis kits started at £20,000? That does seem very expensive to me. You can buy a 2nd hand GTD for that type of money.

Regards,

J.P

Ron Earp

Admin
Seems very high to us Yanks but the exhange rate isn't too good at the moment and maybe you folks have much higher salaries! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Heck though, I didn't even include VAT in the table which adds another 17.5% onto the price. Holy smokes Batman! I haev got to figure out how to sell engines and other bits in the UK, there is plently or room for a nice profit and save you guys some money.

CAVs in the US are reasonable I think, at about $65000 with AC and leather, only thing missing are a few assorted bits but the car car certainly be on the road with a good engine and tranny for $80-85000 with good bits and options.

Attachments

• 25566-cavuk.JPG
    25566-cavuk.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 406
[ QUOTE ]
JP, COULD'T BUY YOUR MDA for three times that though!! Frank

[/ QUOTE ]

My car has actually cost approx £60,000 - and that is a turnkey car. I'm guessing that my MDA will have cost £65,000 finished, built by Mark Sibley.

Now £65,000 for a car that has fully rose jointed suspension, aluminium hubs, cast magnesium BRM alloys, Ohlins shock absorbers, your seats!, 450hp Ford SVO engine with throttle body injection, 6 Pot AP racing brakes front and rear, Quaiff LSD & Quaiff uprated gearbox - the list goes on!

It might have cost a bit BUT it is incredible value!

Now, I've asked before, just how much would a similar CAV cost ? £100,000 + ? I'd like to know especially since CAV seem to think that they are NO.1.

Good luck to CAV. As a serious business man I simply do not understand who exactly is going to buy a product at that price. I might be wrong, but I can't see the logic of pricing themselves out of the market.

Time will tell, I'm sure.

Regards,

J.P

Ron Earp

Admin
Actually, come to think of it, neither of these are kits in the GTD sense of the word. So are there any UK kits at all available other than Tornado which might be just fine but have few builders on the forum for some strange reason. Seems there is a market there that is available.

R

Hi,
funnily enough I just went to see a Tornado partly built kit this afternoon with the possibility that if I can find room to build I will buy.
Murray

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, come to think of it, neither of these are kits in the GTD sense of the word. So are there any UK kits at all available other than Tornado which might be just fine but have few builders on the forum for some strange reason. Seems there is a market there that is available.

R

[/ QUOTE ]

YES! MDA provide very good kits. Have a look www.gt40uk.com /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

Rick Merz

Lifetime Supporter
I will add that I have talked to Mark Sibley at MDA and find him to be very knowledgeable and helpful in supplying upgrades and replacement parts for GTD GT40's as well.

I am aware of a couple of other individuals/companies who are developing their own cars - trying to fill the gap left following the demise of GTD.
I'm sure they will reveal all when they are ready. In the meantime, the only ones I know of are Tornado, who have a long order time, and MDA, but I haven't actually seen a completed MDA car yet.
May be next year??

The demand for second hand cars and unfinished projects is huge and prices have risen accordingly over the last year or so.

I know of two people, very local to myself, who have ordered Tornado kits (at least the starter body/chassis). In both cases the wait time was around 6 months, that seems long (and I was also very impatient to get started when I bought my GTD) but in the context of a typical build time of several years its not significant. I think Tornado is now the only option for the average man(woman?) who is not seriously loaded!

I love my 40 but to spend the same as a high quality sports car (say, £60K) doesn't make sense to me unless money is no object. I certainly wouldn't buy a CAV at that price, in geenral I rate mine more highly at (a cheap) £35K - but then my labour rates were even less than in SA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back