CAV or SPF?

LOL
Agree also here David :)

I was a little disappointed in seeing the Cav in Le Mans.
Was the very first vehicle I meet in our campus, and the general appeal was incredibly nice (I kissed the car...really..).
Anyway later I started to ask around to all the people there about the real racing capability of the Cav....and there comes the disappointing.
Almost all told me ..that is not so "racing" as it wants to be,for example not at all so much more racing car than a Tornado..or (God bless the Queen again) than the old "rustic" GTD.
The Cav is just a WONDERFUL car, that anyway have points that can be improved to be considered SO nicer than all the other (many told me about the engine mounting position in the chassis).
Also there anyway...the assembly is the main part of the work (and the british silver car in Le mans was simply awesome).

I remain in my opinion were the being near to the manifacturer matters TOO MUCH (think at RF mess....).Too many,for exaple, here inside always say "thank U Andy Sheldon" for the great assistance he gaves in finishing a Tornado car.Experience of assembler....is the real point on such work.

And I cannot really say now the CAV or the SPF are SO much more better than a wonderful finished Tornado or any older kit professionally build (I mention Tornado cause think is the older factory still alive in the complex hard world of gt40s manifacturers).

For me this is a big problem, cause the nearer manifacturer is about 2000 kmts from my home,but I dont care..and I am ready also just to fix a rolling chassis to the roof of my living room:D

Paolo

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
To clarify

Paulo please confirm you are talking about the silver CAV at the campsite.

I believe this was the one built up on Dream Machines (TV show) and won by the owner. It was a spaceframe vehicle (I have heard UK people like Frank Catt worked with CAV to iron out these problems) it has now been superceeded by a Mono and (from my readings here) CAV Mono has had a lot / all of the problems resolved.

Regards
Ian

Paulo,
The position on CAV or other is relative. Presumably those who air opinion on the race capacity of the Cav spaceframe or other is based on actual exerience? I think not. Wonder how many have been in the CAV to compare this? or indeed posessing the abilty to pass judgement!

All I can vouch for is in the last year a reforming of the CAV chassis, new uprights, improved angle via rear shock mounting, new bump steer brackets, assymetrical front upper wishbones giving additional caster, stiffer front antiroll bar and opitimisation in the front spring settings. Improvements in the ackermann angles etc etc... all basic stuff but critical tweaking for improved performance.

From the past CAV canada have done a great job of retrofitting SpaceF cars with chassis improvements to overcome most of the previous weaknesses.

Think it unfair that some people hold a brand to what they perceived it to be in the past.

Not on the payrole for CAV but trust their commitment and unified direction......

Think the weakness of CAV is that the stalwarts percieve this to be purely a car for those who want a roller and not be involved in a 10 year build program! As a consequence it must be compromise vehicle, right? wrong!

Yes Stephen,
I didnt note that was a spaceframe car (so early Cav), cause i never looked at the car chassis,even if near us.
Didnt know Cav also made spaceframes in the past...love that for his nice monocoque.

Surely NEW CAVs are too better cars (also if I also honestly can die for such old steel eh..:D),

My question now is....what is the BEST race based car to have a "terminator gt40"? (I am referring to something in production, not scratchbuilted race chassis).

Just to know...always something more:)

Paolo

Although it is our policy not to get involved in public forums, we do wander through them from time to time and this particular forum has always been a favourite because of the way it is run, and the conduct and genuine enthusiasm displayed by the members.

From time to time there are innocent, but incorrect, statements made about our products which, if left unanswered, become perceived eventually as fact and we feel that we should place, on record, some details of what we offer.

Firstly, we only build complete cars, except for engine and transmission, which are supplied direct from our Dealers. This is the niche that we focus on, we do not do “kits” in the true sense of the word and we exist because our typical buyers just do not have either the time, skills or inclination to build a car. We have the utmost respect for people who do build their own vehicle as we know just how difficult this is. Getting on to our GT 40 replicars, the points below are in no order of importance and are just statements of fact which, as I said above, should either answer some future questions or correct some existing beliefs.

1. The Spf GT40 is available in both MK1 and MK11 body styles. Our standard MK1 runs 10” wide rear BRM style rims but we can also offer the standard body
(8” rims) and wide body (13” rims), to special order. The spare wheel access cover can be had in single or dual opening type.
The MK11 body shell is available in Mk11 A and B styles.

2. We offer both left and right hand drive.

3. Our chassis is an exact replication of the original monocoque down to the pressed steel roof spider. The only departure is to use electro-galvanized sheet steel in it’s construction. This chassis, at over 12,000 lbs per degree is stiffer than anything out there at this time and is made up of over 244 lazer cut and bent, or pressed parts.

4. The suspension, wheel hubs, uprights, pedal box, instruments, steering, dash, catches, latches and many, many more items are accurate replications of the original parts.

5. Our cars are licensed and endorsed by Safir Engineering (holders of the naming rights) as true “continuation” cars and, as such, carry the GT40P chassis number.

6. The car comes complete with full air conditioning, full exhaust system, engine install kit including all pulley’s and brackets, side shafts, shifter kit for RBT/ZF trans-axle, racing 4 point harness, twin filler caps and in fact, complete except for engine and transmission.

7. Although we have a standard chassis, by removing the seat “trampoline” support, the car will fit, comfortably, a 95 percentile driver. (6’2” X 240 lbs)

8. Fit and finish is, obviously, to SPF’s acknowledged, industry standard setting, show quality.

9. Pricing is in the low 70’s.

10. A “FIA Appendix K” compliant car will also become available shortly.

11. Superformance have been in business for over 12 years in the USA and have successfully shipped over 2,600 replicars during this period. We have 16 dealers representing us in the US at this time.

12. Apart from one prototype being sent out to Carlisle last year, and one to Europe, also last year, shipments started in March this year, with Dealer demo units being sent out first. We are currently producing and shipping 8 units per month, moving to 12 per month in October.

We hope that the above information will “fill some holes” in the record. Should there be any further information required, please e-mail us direct at [email protected] and we will do our best to answer your queries promptly.
Visit www.superformance.com
for more info on our other products or a list of our Dealers.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Im lead to believe that the so called CAV 'Mono' still has tubes in its chassis, hidden away.
Is this correct ?

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi-Tech Auto,

WELCOME!!!

Thank you for presenting your program. There has been entirely too much speculation about the SPF cars (and about several other maunufacturers also) and not enough fact.

As perception becomes reality, I am pleased that the outline of the product and the sales process has been posted "officially". This does not diminish the offerings of other builders, but allows a prospective GT40 owner to view and digest what each producer has to offer and determine what is best for every buyers investment.

And yes, as some know, I have a very slight connectrion to Hi-Tech however, I post this in the spirit of "more info equals more 40's on the road".

If this helps someone decide they really want an RCR, God bless 'em!! The more the merrier as I see it!

Heres to looking up at Miatas at red lights......

Rick

Mark IV..

I agree the more the merrier.

I have seen the SPF at close quaters and it is indeed a very nice car,
and I applaud anyone that wants a turnkey type car and buys one.

We as a collective group of lunatics like to tinker with our toys and as such there is certainly a place in the market for all of us....

I have to say on a personal level that its companies like Hitech that treat the industry like professionals with their approach and quality,that drives me to make all of the RCR products the best we can and take a leaf from their book with a professional attitude towards quality manufacturing and customer service....thank you Mr. Price and staff.

I also enjoy reading the scratch build guys threads as I feel their pain and joy as we scratch designed and build the RCR products and have faced all of the same issues....and still do daily...!!!

More power to the GT40 World......

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Fran,
Yeah......you get it. Shame many do not. There is room for many different types and styles of 40's. Do what floats your boat BUT do it with a company that understands that quailty and customer service are as important, or possibly more, than the car itself!

Life begins at 40....................

Rick

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hats off to those balanced individuals involved in the mfg of gt40 replicas that recognize, and appreciate, the comraderie of such endeavors. Obviously, they recognize there is lots of room for several high quality producers of these wonderful automobiles.

It is my sincere hope that these same groups of people can ensure consistent, and long term, high levels of business ethics and committment in order to avoid repeats of the Roaring Forties episode. Doing so requires sufficient experience in business management in addition to possessing the skills and know how to produce quality cars. It's no surprise there have been failures in the industry (such as RF) as most new businesses do, in fact, fail. Such failure is for a multitude of reasons, the most common being inadequate capitalization and lack of basic business mgmt experience.

We seem to have a strong group of manufacturers at this time. And, as each individually creates success for themselves they are contributing to an overall success of an industry. A rising tide floats all boats.

I forgot to reply when this thread first started, but ...

How come nobody has mentioned ERA? The have a great semi monocoque,
have some great desing details/improvements, and have been in business
a loooong time.

Wait time is a bit long, but there is one for sale on their website (unless
ERA hasn't updated recently):

http://www.erareplicas.com/cars/ab/index.htm

Ian

Ian

You are right. ERA is good company that makes an excellent product.
They certainly deserve equal time. However I get the impression that
they are not well represented in Europe. I don't think I've ever seen a thread
from a European ERA owner, and assume most of ERAs annual production is happily swallowed up by US customers. So I can understand why ERA
would be overlooked by someone in Europe interested in a turnkey.

MikeD

Last edited:
Got a letter from the european spf-dealer in Netherlands, Eshuis, today.
His first and so far only GT40 can be looked at until Friday, then it is going to NORWAY!
Good luck and lots of fun!

Back