Ceramic carbon brakes

I have heard about this company called MOVIT offering aftermarket ceramic brakes.

Official Website MOV'IT® - brakes, brake systems, braking systems:*ceramic brakes

I dont know much about them, but from what i understand, they are the most affordable.

FWIW back in 1998 MOVIT was doing brake upgrades using Porsche GT2 rotors and calipers for various cars, by redrilling the rotors to proper bolt circle and supplying braided lines and CNC-machined mounting adapters for the calipers. Workmanship was top drawer and I put a set on both ends of my Viper. Made a huge difference on the track.

JR

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think that one of the reasons I like this website so much is the huge variation in peoples knowledge. carbon brakes isn't really something I spend a lot of time thinking about, so the truth is I DO have a lot to learn about them.

How about somebody doing a workup on a SLC (sort of a corvette upgrade I would guess) and post the parts necessary and the vendor. Please include prices and we'll see where we are. Maybe this is a good idea and I don't know it.

I tried to do this on the above website but it didn't work for me.

OK, and the one category that has not been mentioned yet is the "cool" factor. CC brakes IMHO definitely add to the cool factor, especially for an exotic car like the SLC.

I wonder how much the MOVIT corvette kit is.
Offizielle Website MOV'IT® - Bremsen, Bremssysteme, Bremsanlagen: Corvette C6 / Z06 (6.0 LS2)

sure looks nice:
corvette-z06-front-brake-cer-4297-01-co.jpg

Interesting on the Mclaren MP12 the steel brakes weight less than the Carbon. No one I know who serioulsy tracks runs carbon, esp the porche guys.

It doies have cool factor, and I can see how in an unlimited budget its going to offer atrack advantage in most cases, but youa re talking race teams. Cost aside they are just too fagile.

Interesting on the Mclaren MP12 the steel brakes weight less than the Carbon. No one I know who serioulsy tracks runs carbon, esp the porche guys.

It doies have cool factor, and I can see how in an unlimited budget its going to offer atrack advantage in most cases, but youa re talking race teams. Cost aside they are just too fagile.

A friend of mine has a GT3RS which is pretty much a garage queen now. He brought it out to the track once, but when he was out there, you could see that he was going easy on the brakes. I could see the fear of replacing those $6 or $7k rotors looming over him...

Apparently all of those porsche guys that have carbon brakes replace them with steel ones, then put the carbon ones back on when they sell the car...

marc

Lifetime Supporter
I guess braking cost money, how fast do you want to stop. For a race team with a big budget its all about the lap times. For us OOP racers steel is the deal.

Budget and CC are not 2 words to use in the same sentence. When I looked at this a few years ago, a complete package (rotors, calipers, pins and springs) was around $8 to 9k new and this was all original GM OEM stuff no aftermarket stuff.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm....can you imagine the knowledge/skill you could gain from $8000 worth of driver coaching?

I know a guy that ran GM ZR1 carbon ceramics on a 69 Camaro (Google Jackass). His track feedback was stay away unless you run ZR1 ABS system. They get 'grabby' then unpredictable as they heat up. I also know another custom build that tried the Wilwood set up. Not sure why, but they went back to steel rotors.

Back