Ceramic carbon brakes

If the fitment is the same as a Z06 or ZR1 then CCW makes an 18 that will clear the GM carbon setup front and rear. I am not sure if the custom uprights present a problem with fitment or not.

Dave

Dusty

GT40s Supporter
MOVIT Brakes are ridiculously expensive. I could buy a used C6 Z06 with a set of their brakes and $9000 cash..just to put it in perspective. I suspect low production volume and trying to make up various direct and indirect costs.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
Racing is not about what is expensive or not. If you can spend 15k-20K without alot of R&D to gain 1sec around the race track over your competition it is cheap! F1 has 20 plus years with Carbon Carbon brakes you think they would want to go back to heavy iron brakes? Alms money is also not the object. If you want to race to win you do everything you can to out wit, out engineer and in some cases bend the rules by any means necessary to dominate your competition. The fan is happy a .01 sec win over second place. A race team is happy if the lap the entire field and win the race. Somewhere back the porsche drivers where going back to steel rotors. why? most likely to worry about cost not winning.

Fair enough, but every racing team has a budget. If running cc brakes eats up a significant amount of your racing budget, then that means either you run less races in a season, or you have to make cuts elsewhere like trying to get more races out of a set of tires than you should, or putting off an engine rebuild. So while the brakes may reduce your lap times, it can be offset by increased lap time from tires that have gone off or a tired engine.

Very few people have an unlimited racing budget, so the question is how fast per dollar or how many races per dollar.

marc

Lifetime Supporter
That is true their are not many teams that have super budgets. All of F1 does, even though they complain about the engine and aero rules the most. they are getting 5Gs or more of braking so the are not complaining. LMP1 Carbons all around because a stop for new brakes can mean the difference in wins or loss. We have seen it in the Le Mans just recently as brake changes were normal and you must for lower budget teams it was dangerous as the introduction of air into the brake lines would waste more time or waste the car on the track.

If I was building an SLC or LMP(more likely) it would be with CC brakes and stick with 400-500hp 600tq "cheap" LS3 with dry sump. The tranaxles barely can handle this and require much love. more so than the brakes. that 60K Katech(I'll leave to Ryan to run)

Back