Chassis Number?

Trying to get the car titled but cannot find the stamped chassis number on my car. The VIN plate is there but the stamp supposed to be on the floor of the front of the car, near the left suspension mount is not there. Any idea where to look?

The state wants a picture of the chassis number that matches the VIN.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Kevin

Didn't know there was a # stamped into the chassis. Haven't seen that on mine unless it's really hidden. Why not stamp your own # on the chassis?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Kevin--

Tell me more and I"ll look: you mean on the floor as in inside the footwell? Or outside around the suspension attachments?

I've noticed that most big parts of P2160 have a "60" scratched or stamped on them, but hopefully here we're looking for the full number.

...Later....

The good news: I found this post of Richard Woerz's http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/27666-p-question.html#post253294

The bad news: my car doesn't have a "front compartment" number either.

Thank you, High Tech, for another successful attempt at driving your customers crazy.

No, I get it: somebody told them "every GT40 was different" so they decided to "replicate" that as well, by making random changes in manufacturing procedures from car to car. Like "let's leave out the fuel sender in this one" or "let's leave the wheel bearings loose on this one."

Trying to get the car titled but cannot find the stamped chassis number on my car. The VIN plate is there but the stamp supposed to be on the floor of the front of the car, near the left suspension mount is not there. Any idea where to look?

The state wants a picture of the chassis number that matches the VIN.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
I should have posted the link, thanks Alan.

It seems like it was a dealer added option, no worries, I can handle this one.

Kevin

buy a set of metal stamps from Harbor Freight and stamp your own - that is what I had to do. I was handed a blank data plate and nothing on the chassis.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
SpyderMike, that's exactly my plan for registering my Cobra replica in KS....it is currently titled as a 1966 Ford "2T" (a friend once told me that the Ford Mustang line had a "2T""), and the Ford VIN plate is mounted on a cutout on the dash. Kansas wants to see a VIN stamped into the frame on the driver's side....your suggestion entails everything I wanted to know...basically "...has someone taken this issue into their own hands before and how did it turn out?".

Thanks for posting....onward through the fog!!!

Cheers, Doug!!

My state checked to make sure the MSO and my registration paperwork matched the plate on the chassis. I had to stamp my own vin as the car had none. What's a girl to do?

The state accepted it a few years ago.

Pull the access panel on the chassis just behind the right front wheel. That's where mine was. Turn the wheels to the left, use a snubby philips screw driver and your in. Should take about 5 min.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Pull the access panel on the chassis just behind the right front wheel. That's where mine was. Turn the wheels to the left, use a snubby philips screw driver and your in. Should take about 5 min.

Sorry to drag this up again, but I'm going to see the CHP in a couple days....

Rich -- in the front of the RHS sponson I found a little "60" medallion (as in GT40P2160) but I've found that in lots of other places. Did you actually find a stamped full serial number in there? If so where?

Alan, all I found was "107" behind the panel. My chassis was 2107. That's the only serial number my car had until the CHP issued a blue plate VIN.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan, all I found was "107" behind the panel. My chassis was 2107. That's the only serial number my car had until the CHP issued a blue plate VIN.

OK, that's what i've got (actually "060"). So I guess some time later they started stamping it on the weld tab below the LHS lower A-arm pivot bolt (according to the registration instructions from Second Strike). Thanks.

Back