Chassis plans

Hi guys Im new to the GT40 world. Im thinking about diving in head first. I would like to build my own chassis before purchasing a body. Does anyone know were I can get chassis plans drawings or blueprints. I have a fab shop but not a full blown sheetmetal shop. I would like to build a tube chassis if possible.

Please see this thread
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11112

It is not a tube frame for the original gt40. However I'm going tube frame and fiberglass body not GT 40 but looks like it somewhat, who cares,,, not me! FWIW it will be a semi monocoque chassis with steel support members Tig welded not riveted. I will also use carbon fiber epoxy structures where needed.

I will go with Chrome Moly 4130 thin wall tubing tig welded, have yet to decided on the suspension parts salvage/modify or make. I will not purchase this as a kit, that is for sure.

LOL
The original GT40 - and our ERA GT - have a semi-monocoque chassis. The heaviest (steel) main panel on our ERA GT is only .045" thick, and most panels are only .032"! Reinforcements are required at the suspension points where there are local high loads. With the rockers 10" high x 9" wide, the net result is an incredibly stiff structure. But you can't build a classic roadster like this.

I suggest you look at Indy, FI and Champ cars as well as LeMans racing stuff.
Here is nice sites for ideas
http://www.erareplicas.com/misc/stress/deslogic.htm
http://www.jblmotor.com/JBLchassis.html
best and good luck

Last edited:
I seen that post while reviewing. I love the chassis but thats out of my capabilities. I would like to build a square tube and sheetmetal tub with the rear being round. Im thinking about doing a custom rear knuckle from laser cut metal and maybe using Corvette C5 suspension on the front. I do have access to a laser cutting machine and I would like to do most of my work in CAD and suspension design software. Ive built a few chassis before but never a GT40.
I was hoping to find some drawing that were mainly around the tub area. Once I know the wheelbase track widths and centerlines of the axle to firewalls the rest should come together.

I looked for years for blueprints. Some people have them but it seems that they do not want to share the information. I guess it is due to all work to create them.

Wheelbase and other critical measurements is not hard to find. I suggest that you by some books about GT40 and start from there.

Br
Henrik

C5 front arms are very long, if you are trying to maintain the right track width, it will come at the cost of foot room. I have basically given up on the arms and I am planning on fabbing my own.
As for people not giving out blueprints, it is too easy for someone to "copy" your drawings to build a car that any "idiot" could do it. Problem is, if an idiot does get ahold of them and builds a car and screws up and gets hurt, chances are he isnt going to take responsibility for his own actions and will start looking for the designer of that chassis to blame..
You are better off reading some books, learning some stuff about chassis design, then ask for certain key body dimensions that will basically allow you to build, thats how I have done it. Better yet, buy a body first and go from there.

hi guys,
what about any mid-engine chassis plans, id like to build a one off befor purchasing a gt40 kit. whats the brian wolf chassis stuff like. yeah i no overall people are not happy with the bloke but could you make anything of his chassis body plans. Also i downloaded a bunch of zip files of his stuff, does anyone know what website i got it off??
thanks

Regards
Jonesy

Back