Checking Bellhousing Alignment

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, the only thing stopping this now is materials. No round steel here, all the aluminum you could want though. I might can get some steel bar tomorrow.

For fun I tried to drill one of the dowel pins but none of my cheap bits will scar it. They're hard. Very hard.

Most dowel pins are cased hardened. Normally what I did was heat it up red hot then cooled it down, and applied cutting oil and drilled at low speed.
Dowel pins are pressed fit to the hole hence it is air locked, so it is really difficult to pull it out.
Below are the methods that I have used before, hope it will help you too.
Drill through the dowel and heat up the pins again, then cooled it down, the material will shrank down, then it should be removed easily.
Or put the nut over the dowel and weld it for easy pulling.

LIM

For fun I tried to drill one of the dowel pins but none of my cheap bits will scar it. They're hard. Very hard.

If I am not sure how hard is the material, first I will used a hand file to file it. If the material can be filed then it can be drill.:thumbsup:

LIM

Ron Earp

Admin
Removing those dowel pins...

Thanks for all the suggestions on the dowel pin removal. Unfortunately none of them worked! Don't know why. I heated to they were red hot, pried, twisted, pulled, etc. Heated the block, and so on, to no avail.

I thought to make the bushings as Jac Mac described can got some material when I thought, ok, one last try. I got the cutoff wheel and cut a slot in the face of them. Then I got a bolt that would fit in my slide hammer and ground down the head side so that it'd fit into the slot on the dowel. After that I welded the bolt to the dowel pin, applied the slide hammer, and bang, out it comes!

If the damn holes wouldn't have been blind this would have been a non-issue, but the 385 series BBs are blind.

R

Attachments

• dowels.jpg
    dowels.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 298
HI Ron Quick word of Caution on grounding for welding, I see the Ground cable is connected to the Flywheel which means you have the chance to arc the bearings. It is best to Ground to what you are welding on ( the BLOCK in this case ) Just FYI . Wally

Ron Earp

Admin
HI Ron Quick word of Caution on grounding for welding, I see the Ground cable is connected to the Flywheel which means you have the chance to arc the bearings. It is best to Ground to what you are welding on ( the BLOCK in this case ) Just FYI . Wally

You know, that occurred to me AFTER I was done. I think she's probably ok though.

Those damn pins were difficult to remove. Very tight, with a lot of engagement. After getting them out and seeing how much force was involved there was no way vice grips were going to touch them.

Adding insult I had ordered the wrong dowel pins too. I should have checked them when they came in but I failed to, so, another Jegs order for 2010.

Back