clutch release travel

I have a 9.5" single organic plate AP racing clutch in my GT40. What is the throw out bearing travel required to fully release the clutch?. It seems that in my setup the t/0 bearing needs to travel quite a bit in the region of 12mm to 15mm. I have heard that overstroking the clutch can reduce the clamping load of the cover plate.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have a 9.5" single organic plate AP racing clutch in my GT40. What is the throw out bearing travel required to fully release the clutch?. It seems that in my setup the t/0 bearing needs to travel quite a bit in the region of 12mm to 15mm. I have heard that overstroking the clutch can reduce the clamping load of the cover plate.

Hi,

Can you be a bit more descriptive of your current transaxle / clutch setup?

There are so many different combinations that it would be a guess for anyone not knowing your setup.

Also - Yes, overstroking the clutch's pressure plate will damage it over time. Some manufacturers actually spec the gap between the clutch disc and flywheel or pressure plate's surface at full release.. I do realize that in many of our setups this is not practical though..

Jim Pearson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi,

I'm not clear if you're trying to determine what to order or how to set what you have. If the latter then this extract from Tilton's setting instructions might help.

Jim

Attachments

• TiltonClutch.jpg
    TiltonClutch.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 309
Back