Cold Air Induction

Has anyone attempted to pipe cold A/C air from the interior into a rear deck box positioned over the carbs? Of course a one way check valve is CRITICAL so vapors/exhaust cannot leak back. The concept is obviously that the colder denser air feeding the stacks or air intakes would enhance performace. I read about this being conducted under laboratory conditions on a staionery engine but can't get my head around attempting same in real world conditions. I would imagine some form of regulation via a valve or other mechanism would be required as excessive cold air on the hot throttle bodies could lead to condensation.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
It's possible whatever h.p. might be gained by doing all that work would be negated by the h.p. lost to running the A/C. Or, to put it another way, turning off the A/C might provide a bigger (and far simpler!) h.p. gain. (+ or - depending on engine size to some degree)

The A/C in the SPFs I've ridden in on hot days barely seemed to make a dent in the temp of the cockpit...so basically there'd be no appreciably colder air going to the intake anyway. (But, maybe the A/C in CAVs, R.F.s, R.C.R.s, etc., is more efficient...I don't know.)

'Just my unsolicited $.02.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Hi Larry,
The AC on my APF P2125 works well even in 90-95 ambient
Needed to properly purge,charge and adjust the thermostat on the evaporator also some thermal insulation in the cab.

Steve P2125

I consider my intake air temps to be to high, 55-65 c .
I have insulated in the valley and other places, I think the shear mass of engine then stick an induction system in the middle of it is hard to get around.
I have a few other things I want to try but I am interested to know of other owners temp experiances if they have data logged.

Jim

Forget it. You are fighting the fundamental laws of thermodynamics here and you will lose. The energy you invest in getting the air cold will be more than the gain you will get from inducting denser air.
But if you want to believe it, I've got a perpetual motion machine I'd like to sell you...

What about a stand alone A/C system like what is available in the back of most SUV's. Now you would need to up the amperage of the alt. but that would be it. The gains might be negated by the added weight of the system but I don't see why in theory it would not work since you are just creating better ram air effect.

Back