Column Connectors

I am currently in the wiring phase of the project after being away for a while. I thought I remembered a post somewhere about the column and connectors used. I am using a Ron Francis wiring harness but it came with a connector that is for the older style GM columns without the headlight switch and wipers. Has anyone been able to source the mating connectors (one is 23 pin, the other 6 pin)? Everywhere I look seems to just be the old style that only has turn signals, flashers and horn. My other option will be to cut the connectors off and install a generic connector on both sides.
Second question, does anyone have a wiring diagram for this column - really just need the pin outs for the connectors.

Thanks. With those two connector drawings, I was able to find the GM part number so I think I can get just the connector and pins and avoid having to make the splices. I was surprised there wasn't more availability from the standard wiring/column suppliers but I guess most just offer columns without the headlighs

Thanks. With those two connector drawings, I was able to find the GM part number so I think I can get just the connector and pins and avoid having to make the splices. I was surprised there wasn't more availability from the standard wiring/column suppliers but I guess most just offer columns without the headlighs

Mike- can you share the GM part #?

Thanks!

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a chart for the metric wire size equivalents (needed when you buy the pins)

METRIC..................STANDARD

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Does the steering column factory wiring come with the male or female 23 and 6 pin connectors? I'll delete the part numbers for the connectors that are used on the column to make it less confusing. I'll leave the "mating" connectors listed. I'm using the Cadillac XLR column so mine is different.

Last edited:
Connectors on the column are both female
20190129_201130.jpg

For any of you wanting to go this route, I ended up making two orders to Mouser Electronics to get all of the parts. For the column connector, I bought the shell, 2 small retainers and one large and then the pins. I am currently finishing the install, but ended up needing 11 pins to cover the turn signals and headlights. Since it appears the OEM used a lighting module, none of the wires in the column were large enough gage for the headlights so I installed a few relays next to the fuse panel for these. The small gage pins will handle 16/18 ga wire and the larger ones will handle 12 gage, or as I did for a couple 2 18 gage wires
For the turn signal connector, bought the shell and pins.

Listed the part numbers I bought below:

Column connector
Shell - 12092248
Small Retainer - 12092250 (2 required)
Large Retainer - 12092251
Small gage pins - 12092345-L
Large gage pins -12092344-L

Wiper Connector
Shell - 12064754
Pins - 13753471

These are all the mfg part numbers, but work in the search at Mouser. The pins are also the part numbers that are available to buy with min quantity one (some of the PNs are bulk with a bag of 1000).

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I just corrected post #5 to show the correct shell part number for the wiper connector. Clicking on the link now shows the correct part number on Mouser. (I had mistakenly shown the part number for the 6 pin female housing).

Back