Connecting a Toyota 1UZFE to a Porsche G86 (012?)

Hi All,

I've done quite some searching and come up with no answers to date, so here's the question.

I have a Toyota 1UZFE V8 motor I need to mate up to a Porsche G86 Transmission from a 5 speed Boxster, I believe this is also known as the Audi 012 transmission? Certainly the one I have has 012 stamped on it in a few places and what could be an Audi logo or two.

Anyway I can't find any information on this setup being done before so before I go and invent the solution I'd like to check if anyone knows of it being done and are parts available to buy.

BTW I've tried Kennedy Engineering and they can't help in this case.

Picture of the box below...

(BTW this is my first question on the forum so I hope its worthy!)

GearBox.jpg

The 6 speed Boxster S transaxle is considered to be stronger. If you already have this one and want to do an adaptor for it send me a PM with some contact information and I can probably build one for you.

Doug, I would have a chat with Rod from Castlemaine Rodshop in Victoria www.rodshop.com.au/
What they havn't made adaptors for, they can make, and i think they only charge about $55/hr?

Russell

Hi Doug, Maybe this will help i posted some pics here http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...ng-gearbox-adapator-okay.html?highlight=lambo and the next page,
for my 016 to 1uz join up, i suspect the 012 and 016 share the same bolt pattern, i have one in the shed somewhere ill have a look later to see if they are the same let me know if you need more help,
i had mine made up in NZ by

Precision Engineering

Work: 094153264
Work: 021647823
Fax: 4153265
Other: 9/B Airborne Rd
Albany
speak to geoff

Best Regards
Lambo

im in the middle of doing this now im casting the adapter and a freind of mine is machining that for me and making a flywheel the bolt patterns for the 016 and 012 i dont think are the same as far as im led to believe their the same as the 01e also the flexplate from the lex is being retained

Andy, Sounds good so what clutch arrangement would you bolt in front of flex plate? Are you using an 012, does it look like my photo?
What country are you in BTW?

I'm also not 100% that the 012 people are referring to is what I have looking at other peoples pictures I see a black steel painted part to the case, whereas mine is entirely alloy, I suspect that the box from 924's 944's may have been designated an 012 also?
I will measure the front of the box and post here once I've got that done.

I know the box I have came from a 968 Boxster can it be confirmed that this is an 012 transmission?

Sorry too many questions, had too much coffee today...

Doug
I can vouch the work done by Precision Eng. he did my Rover Audi conversion and he has done my friends Toyota V8 to 016 conversion also. Very accurate work.

Andy, Sounds good so what clutch arrangement would you bolt in front of flex plate? Are you using an 012, does it look like my photo?
What country are you in BTW?

I'm also not 100% that the 012 people are referring to is what I have looking at other peoples pictures I see a black steel painted part to the case, whereas mine is entirely alloy, I suspect that the box from 924's 944's may have been designated an 012 also?
I will measure the front of the box and post here once I've got that done.

I know the box I have came from a 968 Boxster can it be confirmed that this is an 012 transmission?

Sorry too many questions, had too much coffee today...

Doug68,

The Boxster 5 speed gearbox is an 012 (all alloy case). Its bellhousing bolt pattern is indeed the same as the 01E, but slightly different than the 016 (as is the input shaft axial protrusion). You are correct, Kennedy does not make an adapter to accomodate either the 012 or 01E. The 924 uses an 088 (snail shell) and the 944 uses the 016 G, K, R, or S (no clutch provision). I may have my numbers confused, but didn't the late 944 morph into a 968, or was that a 986? Too many Porsche model numbers......

BTW, what is the code number stamped on the gearbox? I'll pull the ratios if I have the cross-reference, but they are likely as specified in the table below. First gear is a bit short. Also, did you get the cable shift linkage with the gearbox? It makes adapting of a shifter quite simple.

Type 5-Speed Manual
Final Drive 3.89:1
1st Gear Ratio 3.50:1
2nd Gear Ratio 2.12:1
3rd Gear Ratio 1.43:1
4th Gear Ratio 1.03:1
5th Gear Ratio 0.79:1

(the other) Andy

Doug,

I should have been more specific. The code number is stamped on the bottom of the geabox adjacent to the differential side cover. The three letter code such as DVZ, or DUK, etc. is what you'd be looking for.

I looked at you WEB site. That's a very ambitious project. Please keep us abreast of your progress.

Andy

hi doug not sure about the clutch yet was hopeing to get some help choosing that myself i dont realy know if the 012 is up to the job as im running the 1uz with two ct26a turbos but for the price (i picked up two for £60) i dont mind blowing a few up as said before that is the audi 012 box and im in south wales uk

I've posted here my drawing of the mating face of the 012 transmission, if anyone has corrections to make to this please let me know.

andys, I can't find anything at all stamped on the bottom of the case, the serial no on the top starts EFD then the number, that might be the 3 digit code? Also on the box theres an ink stamp with PR A12 on it and a paper label with 3247. If that helps identify the exact beast.

The rotation in 5th gear is as close as I can tell 3:1 on the input to output shafts, so thats near as dammit the numbers quoted above so thats what I expect I've got. That gives 135mph at 5600rpm in top which works ok for the stock motor and should work well if I get the thing revving to 7-8k with some mods.

For the shift mechanism I will buy the parts for the cable shift and use that It didn't come with it but this appears to be a part of the design where people often appear to screw it up doing it themselves (Though I may change my mind when I find the price of the parts).

The plan shaping up is to:
1. Use a Boxster clutch such as this one.
2. Make the adaptor plate.
3. Make an offset flywheel similar to whats been shown in the thread.
4. Get an original flex plate and machine it to fit item 3.

Anyone with a spare 1UZFE flex plate lying around, please put your hand up!

I have one which is on the engine still,

Do you need to have it or do you want the measurements?

if you need one I could make a call and see if Piet has his old one lying around, I can't do without mine mine yet, located in holland though....
He made his own custom flywheel which takes the lex ringgear, I can ask him for a measurments piccie, maybe it's of use to you aswell he uses 7mgte clutchparts but runs his 1uz on a supra box in a lotus seven clone... madman!

grtz Thomas

(btw Hi doug keep bumping into you everywhere where there's midship V8s)

Hi Thomas,

I somewhat surprisingly found a flex plate at a local wreckers for a price that wasn't too painful.
The idea is to do something like what I've roughed out below.
The next step is to get the Boxster clutch assembly to properly work the dimensions around that.

Attachments

• Flywheel.jpg
    Flywheel.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,022

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Hi Doug --- I like the way you're thinking -- maybe I can help -- the pics are an adaption for a Ford mod. to AO2 (I think) --so I think we can do something similar the adapter plate has to be about 30 mm thick though.
PM me if you like.

Attachments

• Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1,978
  • IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,517
Doug,

I was unable to find code "EFD", but I suspect if it is a Boxster gearbox then the ratios I posted are likely correct.

Is that Sachs clutch robust enough for the Toyota V8? Perhaps if you double check an Audi clutch fit up, you may be able to use Audi parts which are sure to cost less than Porsche application parts. There are many Audi performance clutch suppliers. One such supplier that I found willing to discuss special needs was South Bend Clutches: South Bend Clutch - DXD High Performance Clutches

Your flywheel illustration looks very similar to the one in the photo below.

Andys

Attachments

• Machining Arbor w. QM Flywheel2.jpg
    Machining Arbor w. QM Flywheel2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,446
Chris, I'm a little bit off getting the design for this completed, when I get that done I'll PM you.

andys, whats the engine with the most torque Audi put on the front of these boxes then? I don't know much about them I'm afraid.

Thanks,

After some research I've come up with the Audi S4 - 6 Cylinder, 2.7L Turbo from ~2002 as the clutch candidate of choice.
The S4 in question made 258ft/lb of torque versus the stock output of the 1UZFE of 260ft/lb.
This clutch was also used in the 2000-2004, A6, A6 Quattro, Turbo, 2.7L.
Searching the web this setup can be bought as a Luk unit for ~US$235 which seems good value for money to me.

Does anyone have an opinion on a better clutch to use that isn't mega-bucks?

Back