Converting a GT40 into a Dino 206SP

Re: German GT40 interpretation

Axel,

Great job and I thing it looks sexie. It has some of the great curves of the GT40 and a bit of Lola T70. I would also say to pull molds of the orignal. It could be a nice body swop for the GT40... summer.....winter. And besides when you bend it replacement body panels would be easy to get.

Keep up the great work

Regards Richard

Thanks guys!

Taking molds is included in my plans, but my plan is when my prototype is finished to take measurements from the better side, and build a wooden buck so I can hammer an aluminium body over it since my car now is standard sheet metal...

Anyway, the fever is catching me right now since the body is shaped and looks good, my aim is to get the car to a testrun before autumn, even if it is just with primer, no final paintjob, but we will see...the powertrain question is still open...!
Audi 2.8 V6 (174hp)with 01E gearbox would be a quick and cheap solution, Alfa V6 (193hp) with Renault UN1 or Porsche 901 box nice but complicated, Ford Cosworth V6 (220hp) with Porsche 901 the most powerful solution...
V8s don't suit the car as the original Dino also had a V6...

Headlight panels done:

I actually love the idea with swapping bodies, having the open roof Dino for summer and the closed roof GT40 for winter :)

I just did minor modifications to the GT40 frame, the sills are a bit narrower (unfortunately GT40 sill tanks don't fit anymore :-(...), of course window frame and the front hood is lower...the rest is still GT40, also the seating and steering position, but I eliminated the center tunnel and the seats will be moved close together!

Latest update

I don't remember how many different headlights I was taping on the car before cutting, here is the result (I cut them a bit smaller to still have some freedom with the final line)

Unfortunately no updates...too many other things going on in life at the moment, I hope when spring comes in march/april I will be back at it! Happy new year to you guys too!

hey Axel, just found this thread... and OMG!!! I'm right with everyone else on the amazing work you've done! so, spring 2016 has come and gone... summer is nearly to an end as well... so, has life permitted you to continue with the beautiful machine you are crafting?

Yes I am back!
Some things have changed in my life, and it looks like it is all sorted out now, so it is finally the time to continue my built.
The body is all welded together, which was a nightmare with the long weld seams and the heat transfered to the metal panels, but I managed to have a two big piece metal body (plus two doors, bonnet) now.
The front end is still a flipfront which is different to the original car but makes installation much easier, and now I am working on a lot of subtructure, details and bay panels. Much work and you see very little progress...but I try to work on the car every time when possible.

I have plans to get it under body filler still in this year and will hopefully be able to do the mechanic work (brakes, engine package, drive shafts) in the winter...we will see but motivation is definitely back!!

For those who are interested in welding, I used CuSi wire with Argon, the reason is that you work quicker and there is not so much heat transfered in the panels, the weld seam is non-corroding and has almost the strength of standard welds with wire/CO2.
But you need to practise, I am neither a welder nor a metalshaper, but I can live with the result.
One thing you realize is, welding works fine with panels who have a lot of shape- not much distorsion, but with flat panels with very little shape in them you'll get a lot of distorsion while welding them together...you need to take this into consideration when you plan your built and where to put the panels together...!

Thanks for watching!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Axel - Welcome back!!!

What a great car this project is turning out to be!!!

Now comes some difficult panels for the front, I am working out its face with headlights and the plexi cover for this needs a recessed surface.
I am trying to figure out how to do the recess with metal, my cutout in the frontwing is already too big, so I need to add some material...it would be so easy to do it with glass, but I want to keep the body 100% metal...

They make flanging pliers to do a recessed lip. Then you can use a stretcher /shrinker or even cut slits in it to turn the corner?

Back