Cooling rear clip

I put on two layers of cooling mat, one called lava mat and the other that gold reflectant that everyone is using. I still don't have the cooling I need in the rear clip bay to sufficiently protect the fiberglass from overheating. Does anyone have any further suggestions? I know Chuck and Ryan used fans, but I'm not sure how that worked out. I'm trying to avoid wrapping my exhaust pipes if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I have two fans like
Attwood Marine - Turbo Blowers, Engine Ventilation

I do not have thermal on firewall and in traffic it fest too hot to comfortably hold hand against

Fans on for 2 mins and firewall cam be held comfortably

Yes they work

I have them rigged on toggle switch. I also tend to open rear clip to release heat build up when I stop but if not possible manually click fans on

Ian

I put on two layers of cooling mat, one called lava mat and the other that gold reflectant that everyone is using. I still don't have the cooling I need in the rear clip bay to sufficiently protect the fiberglass from overheating. Does anyone have any further suggestions? I know Chuck and Ryan used fans, but I'm not sure how that worked out. I'm trying to avoid wrapping my exhaust pipes if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Vaughn,
You need to reread Ryan's thread. It and every build thread on this forum will tell you in many different ways you need insulation on the rear clip and or wrapping to the exhaust. You might even want to use some stick on insulation like Dynamat or like material. It all makes a big difference. Either from a blanket snapped to the underside to fibrous material that will withstand 900+ degrees of heat, you need it. In the past, I have bubbled the paint on my rear clip near where the exhaust turn back to the center and on down to the exhaust ventilation area. I have stainless exhaust and above 2500 rpm it begins to glow. You may need to block the heat from entering the area of the intake. I have one and it makes a difference. The ECU has a difficult time keeping up with the varying temps in that area. You may have to create air gaps between the layers of insulation. Go through the build logs of any of the cars in the build logs, and I bet you will find what you like best.
Yes I have fans just like Ryan's with a run on relay, and I use them just before engine shut down.

Bill

Thanks Guys- What I'm going to try to do is create an air gap beteen the insulation and the body. And I'm also thinking about installing some fans to help move the air. I'm trying to avoid wrapping those beautiful stainless headers. Any suggegstions appreciated. I will go back and take a look at Chuck and Ryan's post. Thank agian.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
The photo of the "test heat shield" on Holman Moody's website is of my car. That was installed 8,000 miles ago and it's performed perfectly. And they've made some improvements since then. I'd recommend them for the heat shield.

If you have an undertray the heat will not get out off the engine bay.
I experienced this and removed mine.

If it has flow through ventilation fans should not be required.

Jim

Last edited:
Back