Correct fog lights?

Depends which car, race, year, team

morten
Im building an AP40 and only came with little park lights. I notice alot have 2 lights on lower clip.1 park light as i have and either a round or rectangle aswell. I want to buy the fog light but dont know what to get or from where.
Thanks

Here are pics of the 2 versions of the correct fog light. The one on the left is the 651 model with a separate bulb holder for a BA21D bulb (max 45w). The version with the separate holder is the one that was originally mounted on the GT40 but was too weak. So Marchal modified them to upgrade to an halogen version with bulb P1.5s wich is 55W. Upgrading means they glued an halogen holder on a 651 (see pic) and called it 656. It went mounted in the USA on the mustang and Shelby and went forbidden in some states because, this time, too bright..... You can find repro of these, they are not high quality but they do the job. If you want authticity, they come out from time to time. Personnally, I mounted the halogen version on my GT. Best

Tipo as I don't know the ref by heart : Bulb should be BA21S (not D) as it has to have only one contact at the bottom (BA21Dhas 2)

Attachments

• 20221221_173023[1].jpg
    20221221_173023[1].jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 20221221_173038[1].jpg
    20221221_173038[1].jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 20221221_174232[1].jpg
    20221221_174232[1].jpg
    176 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Stepahne, What is the modern halogen replacement bulb I see P14.5 but I do know if correct. Do you by chance also know what the modern replacement for the Marchal headlamp is?
Thanks

Hello, it is P14.5S for the halogen versdion of the fog light and BA21D for the old ones. I am not sure of the reference for the headlight, it should be P45, I know the bulb, not the ref. I will check.

Here are pics of the 2 versions of the correct fog light. The one on the left is the 651 model with a separate bulb holder for a BA21D bulb (max 45w). The version with the separate holder is the one that was originally mounted on the GT40 but was too weak. So Marchal modified them to upgrade to an halogen version with bulb P1.5s wich is 55W. Upgrading means they glued an halogen holder on a 651 (see pic) and called it 656. It went mounted in the USA on the mustang and Shelby and went forbidden in some states because, this time, too bright..... You can find repro of these, they are not high quality but they do the job. If you want authticity, they come out from time to time. Personnally, I mounted the halogen version on my GT. Best
thank you,great info.WOW the 651 are no where to be found lol I just spent an hour looking.

Yes, NOS 651 are rather hard to find and the used ones have often rust as they were very exposed to weather : 250 euros is the usual prices for nos lenses, very hard to find.
Also, as the bulb holder was not part of the lamp replacement kit, you need to buy them separetely and, as there is none, the only way to get some is to buy an old pair of Fantastic 651(avg of 150 EUR) . So a 350-400 euros to get the exact set as per mk1 (nos lampes + used bulb holders.

Marchal 656 nos ( not chinese repros like NPD) come out around 150-250 euros per pair. They can even be less : there was; last week, an Ebay seller in Spain who advertised a large set of white 656 at 49 euros per unit, so 98 euros per pair !...https://www.ebay.fr/itm/323904140017. it was a bargain and obviously they have been all sold in a few days.
The benefit of 656 is to come with the bulb holder (as it was glued, it is then part of the replacement lamp...) and to be halogen.
The only difference between a 656 and a 651, is that they added "656" IODE" to the markings on the glass. Beside this all is 100% identical : Shape, size, inside, engravings etc....
So, according to me :
If you want full authenticity, till the bulb holder, then go to 651 (cost 350-400 EUR ), but expect weak light according to modern standards.
If you can compromise on the added "656 IODE" on the 651 glass, go to 656 you will have better light, and save some money (150-250 EUR)
Best

Last edited:
Stephane, do you or anyone else know what the IODE means?
Iodine
Iodine is a chemical element with the symbol I and atomic number 53. The heaviest of the stable halogens, it exists as a semi-lustrous, non-metallic solid at standard conditions that melts to form a deep violet liquid at 114 °C, and boils to a violet gas at 184 °C

Neil

Supporter
Iodine is the usual ingredient in a "Halogen" light bulb. It allows the tungsten filament to run at a hotter (brighter) temperature by re-depositing the vaporized tungsten metal back on the filament, prolonging its life at the high operating temperature.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Iodine
Iodine is a chemical element with the symbol I and atomic number 53. The heaviest of the stable halogens, it exists as a semi-lustrous, non-metallic solid at standard conditions that melts to form a deep violet liquid at 114 °C, and boils to a violet gas at 184 °C

Wow! Someone paid attention in Chemistry class! Well done Paul.

Back