Cutting/Shaping the RCR40 Windows to fit

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Thanks to this forum, I have the hole drilling process figured out. Now I'm getting ready to fit the side windows & headlamp covers on my RCR40. What tool(s) have some of you used to do a rough cut of these things?
TIA, Rod

Neil

Supporter
Thanks to this forum, I have the hole drilling process figured out. Now I'm getting ready to fit the side windows & headlamp covers on my RCR40. What tool(s) have some of you used to do a rough cut of these things?
TIA, Rod
It depends on what the material is. Lexan (polycarbonate) is far different from acrylics such as Plexiglass.

Lexan and Plexiglass are very different, I strongly suggest to use Lexan (commercial name of Polycarbonate) because if you may have an accident (I do not wish you but sheet happen sometime), the plexiglass will brake like glass and give very shaped parts that may cut your face. In Lexan, it does not happen, you can almost put a nail in the it.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I like to use an orbital sander to remove material to fit the Lexan (same as polycarbonate, Lexan is just a trade name for it). 100 grit will remove it pretty quickly. Mark off the target edge with a felt pen and sand back the edge to the line a little at a time and trial fit often. You won't crack it this way. Just go slow and check the temp of the Lexan as you go. It can get just a bit warm but not at all hot. I use a sponge to cool the edge as I go when necessary.

I clamp the sander onto my bench and work the Lexan into it. Much better than trying to two-hand the tool and the work at the same time. Try it on some scrap stuff first if you can.

Lexan is a name of a Polycarbonate maker. One of many.

Back