Columbus Ohio RCR40

Next up was the fuel filler tubes and caps! We took heavy inspiration here from Sean's build and used 2" stainless. (aluminum is out bc well..... you all have seen my aluminum welds)

First I mocked it up using the 3D printed modeling blocks I posted about previously that were intended to be used for the exhaust. Luckily I had bends already printed that were 3" CLR so they worked great. Sadly I completely neglected to take a photo of the mock up. It made it really easy to cut out the exact bends we needed and tack weld the pieces together.

1713104202434.png

We mounted the tack welded pipe to the tank and then drew a circle around the filler cap with it positioned exactly how we wanted it with respect to the fiberglass body. This made it easy to fabricate a perfect flange to position the filler pipe where we wanted it.

1713104306217.png

1713104338982.png

1713104358990.png

1713104412496.png

It was a blast TIG welding these, and the purge system we cobbled together worked great. Definitely a confidence booster we can pull off welding the exhaust up as well.

1713104488649.png

We also went ahead and installed some tank vents.
In the future we will install a seal between the filler neck flange and the filler cap so that there can't be any leaks in the event of a disaster...

1713104524159.png

1713104554648.png

Randy Folsom

Supporter
We finished mounting the radiator fans which is exciting. We mounted them using a fan shroud we built with some scrap aluminum sheeting we had in inventory.

View attachment 138045

There isn't room to offset the fan shroud due to the front nostril panel, so there isn't room to bolt the fans simply through the shroud using the convenient holes in the fans themselves. Instead we decided to bolt them using captive nuts in the channels on the top and bottom of the fans. We found that 1/4" bolts fit great just slightly shaving down two sides.

View attachment 138047

I welded tabs onto the top of the radiator to bolt the top of the shroud, and then the bottom of the shroud can simply bolt through rivnuts in the empty space on the bottom of the radiator.
View attachment 138049

Really happy with the finished product. Some buffing and powder coat will clean it up nicely as well.

View attachment 138050
There was some recent discussion regarding shrouds here:
Post in thread 'GT40 - Radiator Fan Shroud'
https://www.gt40s.com/threads/gt40-radiator-fan-shroud.30519/post-593857

Randy Folsom

Supporter
It might be just fine as long as you aren’t running it on the track. More important is to close off all the gaps with shrouds around the nose inlet so all the incoming air has to go through the radiator. Also on the back side ensure all the air has to go out via the nostril(s) so as to create low pressure.

Back