David's Monocoque Build

Spare wheel opening cover hammer form in the works.
16919019672560.jpg

Awesome work & my hat’s off to You, David!
Am thoroughly impressed by those (like You, JimmyMac, Ryan L, Rune and others) on this great forum, who have
embarked on the very ambitious pursuit that is a “scratch-built GT40!”

Would you class Maple as a hard wood? We don't get them often in Australia. I'm sure you could get the wood if you looked for it, but it would be expensive furniture grade stuff.
Maple - Wikipedia

I have heard of people using various wood hardeners, stains, lacquers etc. to treat wood that is used as a hammer form. The idea is that you can use a regular or softer wood that is easier to cut and shape, then apply the coatings that soak into the wood making it harder and denser, which preserves its form and shape in use.

Neil

Supporter
Would you class Maple as a hard wood? We don't get them often in Australia. I'm sure you could get the wood if you looked for it, but it would be expensive furniture grade stuff.
Maple - Wikipedia

I have heard of people using various wood hardeners, stains, lacquers etc. to treat wood that is used as a hammer form. The idea is that you can use a regular or softer wood that is easier to cut and shape, then apply the coatings that soak into the wood making it harder and denser, which preserves its form and shape in use.
Yes, furniture-grade maple is expensive but the quantity needed as a hammer form is quite small for most projects. I have never tried those other tricks.

Very nice Dave.
What have you used to cut the 3/8" (10mm) steel stock that the hammer forms are made from?

I've estimated the thickness based on GT40P-1-2319/20 drawing.
I am going to have to get a wriggle on. Loving this.

Very nice Dave.
What have you used to cut the 3/8" (10mm) steel stock that the hammer forms are made from?

I've estimated the thickness based on GT40P-1-2319/20 drawing.
I am going to have to get a wriggle on. Loving this.
Thanks Ryan , I cut the steel out with a grinder 4 1/2 thin cutting disc followed by lots of filing and some sandpaper action to make sure everything was smooth.

Back