Designing rear anti-roll bar brackets for my RF

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Re: Designing rear anti-roll bar brackets for my R

Brkt. #2

A mild steel weldment with 6061-T6 spacers.

Yellow-- .095" (13ga) mild steel plate, 3 pieces, the middle one with one bend, all welded together.

Green-- 6061-T6 bushings

Red-- rod ends (heims)

Attachments

• 37089-brkt3.jpg
    37089-brkt3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 256

Chris Duncan

Supporter

Brkt. #2 another view.

the middle bent mild steel piece has been colored blue just for visibility in this view.

The exact same 6061 spacers are used in brkts. #1 and #2.

This weldment version would be easier to fabricate because the only bend does not affect bushing clearances. In other words your bend allowance isn't critical because bushing clearance is determined when cutting the center piece not bending it.

Allowance should still be made for weld shrinkage as previously discussed.

Attachments

• 37090-brkt4.jpg
    37090-brkt4.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 261

Nice work, Kalun. I like bracket #2 better, because the welded plate between the two end members stiffens the whole assembly up. I don't think the double-shear application in bracket #1 provides anywhere near the strength as #2. I like how you extended the sides of the bracket to be the mounting lugs for the upper heim joint. Only problem there is it creates the need for two new bushings.

Chris Duncan

Supporter
""The above picture is of the rear part of my lower rear upright. This is the only suspension link on the car that's in single shear..""

Ummm... the upper mount on the same upright is also in single shear.

(from the RF gallery)

Rear_Suspension_jpg.jpg

Chris Duncan

Supporter

Mark,

Aluminum brkt. #1 gets a lot of strength, in the same direction as the welded plate, from the center rectangular piece and all 4 through bolts/spacers. If you look at it as an assembly the through bolts combined with their spacers all have substantial material in the same plane as the welded plate.

If you go on the assumption that the original design is sufficient any added strength gained from a brkt that primarily functions as a link mount is just icing.

Here's Brkt. #3 with a mod to eliminate the upper heim spacers and just use washers. Unlike the lower A-arm heim I think the sway link heim has some pivoting in both directions but still not enough to require a high clearance spacer.

This variation is going to require more cutting and more welding but less spacer machining. Probably an even trade off in labor. Not sure about the strength difference, probably the same there also.

Once again the yellow and blue is the same .095 mild steel, different colors for visibility.

Attachments

• 37097-brkt6.jpg
    37097-brkt6.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 245

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Mark,

""I decided to attach my end links in double shear to mounting lugs on the brackets that will be welded to the bracket tops, with a 3/8" rod end, an AN-6 bolt and nut...""

The typical high strength rod end has a bore diameter one size smaller than than the shank dia. So a 3/8" rod end would require a 5/16" or AN-5 bolt.

This is the exact size on the MK V's

For some reason Aircraft Spruce doesn't sell the high strength ones with teflon lining. The teflon makes them quiet, eliminates play, and doesn't require lube.

The best rod end selection and info online is at Baker Precision

[ QUOTE ]
""The above picture is of the rear part of my lower rear upright. This is the only suspension link on the car that's in single shear..""

Ummm... the upper mount on the same upright is also in single shear.

(from the RF gallery)

Rear_Suspension_jpg.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I guess I should have been more precise and said that it was the only heim joint in single shear.

Back