desperately seeking 016 down under

Hi guys. My 1st time on the forum so here goes. I have a Tornado down here in Western Australia and although she is now registered and road legal I have found that i need taller gears in my Audi 016 type trany. My box has a prefix aau and possibly came out of a Porsche. But the gearing is so low i find that quite hard to believe. The diff is a 4.77/1 and top is 0.87. so you see my problem. I desperately require a 3u or similar ratio box to replace it but have been unable to source any down here in Skippyville... I have trails going out into the uk and germany hunting for one. I have no contacts in the states so would be gratefull if anyone could point a finger in the right direction. Ps, does anybody else note that breakers suddenly switch off when you start quoting serial nos instead of model types or is it just me?
hopefully. Shep

Ron Earp

Admin
Shep, there are no 3Us in the States, other than the ones I and other brought in from Germany. They didn't sell the diesel cars the 3Us came in over in the US or Skippyville. You'll have to source it from the UK or Germany as those were the only countries I found that had a lot of them, and Germany has many more than the UK I think. I've been to yards in Germany where I got mine and they are common.

As a start...purchase the .64 5th gearset from Robert Logan (RF40). Someday we may connive someone into making new
lower ratio ring/pinion for a reasonable price...but
it doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon.

If you stumble into more $$$$ you can convert to the
Audi 01E 6-speed...Robert has all the parts needed.

It's a shame we don't have an "active" Forum member in
Germany. We could use a bunch of those trannies in the US.

MikeD

Thanks for that Ron, I also wander then if anybody has good links for breakers yards in Spicy sausageville other than www.wotan-ag.de. I already have Andreas looking for me there.?
regards Ian

Yahoo to that brother.
I must admit i dont really want to change everything over for a 01e cos eventually i would like to win the lotto and get a g50. But for now a straight swap would be very convienient and i worry that as the rest of the gears are so low just changing top might cause a bit gap between 4th and 5th. What do ya think?
shep..

I'm sure Robert can provide references down under that use
his 5th gear....probably too much spread for racing...
but on the street I don't see a problem.

MikeD

I'm not sure Robert (RF) has a 5th gear for 016. Has anyone seen one? I emailed Robert and Hersh. I have not heard from either one of them. Its been months.

Mike Devaney

Thanks for that guys.I have had a mail from a guy bringing a few boxes into Australia, will call tomorow, fingers crossed. In the meantime i have also been given a pair of gears (5th) from a amm prefix box. ratio 0.68. Do youknow if all else fails if this would be an easy swap. I believe changing 5th gear sets is just a matter of removing the back casing? Any other possible problems you might envisage? thanks again. Shep..

Shep

See John Lind's post from earlier this month about installing 5th gear.

Mike

Believe Hersh had a computer failure, then was out of commission for a while. Try him again...I bought my 5th
gear from him.

MikeD

Back