did anyone ever perfect the MKII replica?

Exact monocoque
regards
Chris

Attachments

• 22963-front tub.jpg
    22963-front tub.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 324
If they are going through all the tooling to make a MKll chassis, what's to stop them from making some small changes to the tub and then have an exact MKl tub? Nothing. I would bet that Superformance will have an exact MKl monocoque in the near future.

Is the MK2 front end different from a MK1... seems I read somewhere that the MK2s had more arch over the front wheels which gave it a slightly different look than the MK1s.

btw... notice how clean the facility is in which those guys are doing body work on the MK2 parts... Is that at the Superformance shop in S.A. ?

mardyn

Hi all,

Since returning from the UK I have read with interest the comments in this thread.

The new GT40 Mk11 is no secret as I did a posting with pics some time ago. The new car is being developed by Superformance's factory and as it is being built from original FAV drawings it will be one of the most original GT40s ever built, even not the most original. The drawings and the tooling for the rear bulkhead, roof and windscreen monocoque section have proven to be quite a mission!

One thing I must make clear is that I have nothing to do with the project. Jimmy Price, owner of Hi-Tech Automotive/Superformance and the Mk11 team are friends of mine and I pop in about twice a week to check on progress. In mid-1999 I motivated the formation of Cape Advanced Vehicles (CAV) after having stayed in touch with GT Developments of Poole in Dorset for about seven years. When I sold my shares in March, 2001 I agreed to a restraint of trade on the GT40 for five years. I have other business interests in Cape Town ( a designs company and an import/export agency) and I am currently talking to three British companies about having their cars built locally but on a small scale of no more than six cars per month, a very far cry from Jimmy's 1 000 or so cars next year.

I have also previously done a posting in which I mentioned that Jimmy and I were considering, like the MK11, building a precise copy of the Lola T70 MK111B. I have sourced all the drawings, jigs, parts, etc, in the UK and in Europe and the facilities, resources, expertise are all there to build the car but right now we are going round in circles on this one. Even though the T70, in coupe or spyder form, has an impeccable race pedigree it nevertheless lacks the icon status of the GT40 and the $64 000 dollar question is how big is the market worldwide? A total of six cars, 10 cars, 20 cars for ever?

The phenomenal growth in classic car racing in recent times could possibly open classes for a replica T70 and similar cars which could dictate numbers.
Chris Fox, who runs Lola Heritage in the UK, is keen on the idea of a 'rivet for rivet'copy of the T70 as it would also mean parts for his existing, original customer cars. I gather that there are some 40 T70s in the US that require restoration and or parts. If anyone out there has any ideas on the subject Jimmy and I would really welcome your input.

The Goodwood Revival Meeting was once again something magic and the last race on the Sunday had an entry of six original GT40s. There should have been seven but Chris Chiles blew his engine in practice. In the race a dark blue Lola T70 Spyder and a dark blue Lotus 30 went hammer and tongs at each other for the lead followed by Jackie Oliver in third place in a Gulf coloured GT40. That was quite something - a former Le Mans winner in action 34 years later!

Goodwood was aptly described by Susie Moss as the Walt Disney of motor racing. Once again the period dress, ie 1940s to 1960s was brilliant. And just as you are taking in the sight of some of the most priceless and famous racing cars in the world two Spitfires and a Mustang fly low overhead in close formation.

I met up with forum members Chris Melia, Brian Magee and Roy Snook. Thanks to your website, Ron and Hersh, one makes new friends across the world!

I saw Chris's three 1966 Le Mans Mk11 replicas which he built in a record time of eight weeks. Chris kindly invited me to stay with him on the Wednesday night, after the Goodwood week-end, at his house on 10 acres of land in Mildenhall, Suffolk. Chris has a good set up there complete with barn converted into workshop and with spray booth. I even enjoyed a ball game with his two beautiful Boxer dogs, Dasher and Jakes! Thanks to the GT40s website you also meet four legged friends!

Best wishes from the bottom end of Africa!
Andre 40

Back