Doc's SL-C Build

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Doc -
I feel your pain! While not as sticky as your project sounds, I did the walls with R13 fiberglass and R6.5 foam board and I itched for a week. I decided to have ceiling professionally done, blown-in R38 Owens Corning fiberglass.
Regards,
Dave L

My LS7 is still at my builder's machine shop getting a custom-grind cam from Comp Cams, roller-lifters, Jesel J2S shaft rockers, springs, head-work. Just got in the FAST 102mm intake and throttle-body and the XFI ECU/harness. I'm going with the Aeromotive EFI fuel pump setup.

Now, I'm researching what dry sump modifications are needed and could use your input. I know that the stock LS7 dry sump pan may allow starvation on hard cornering so I will at the least, plan to change the pan with an ARE pan. The decision to be made is whether to go "simple" with a 2- or 3-stage setup that will allow the AC/alternator brackets to work or go for a 4-stage system that will use a new ATI damper and cog-belt driven oil pump. That said, would this arrangement even fit in front of the LS7 without interfering with the frame (remember, my engine is at the machine shop so I can't take measurements)? Also, what oil tank are you using?

Cam dropped by today to do some bead rolling for his 1.5" aluminum tubing on my nifty little bead roller. It does a nice job raising a robust 063 bead.

I've been burning holes in scrap aluminum learning to TIG weld but now I'm getting the hang of it. My ranch hand was a master welder in a former life and he is giving a seal of approval to try my hand at welding my aluminum coolant tubing. I'll start with the straight tubing rather than my more expensive mandrel bent stuff. (don't expect close up photos.....).

Installing my billet side plate for the G50.50.

Mocking up oil coolers, pumps, Accusump, fuel system. Changing out the wheel studs for longer ARPs and tall open lug nuts. Mocking up brake cooling hoses. Now just waiting for the engine to return so that I can deal with the dry sump upgrades.

All is well.....having fun! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• _DSC2396_2.jpg
    _DSC2396_2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 512
Sorry , here they are:

Attachments

• _DSC2390_2.jpg
    _DSC2390_2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 818
  • _DSC2395_2.jpg
    _DSC2395_2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 727
  • _DSC2394_2.jpg
    _DSC2394_2.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 670
  • _DSC2392_2.jpg
    _DSC2392_2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 660
Doc, that is a nice tool, thanks for the beads! You've got some trick parts for your SLC. Who works in the garage in a white sweater? Ohh, it's Christmas time!

Just a little update:

I'm going "turtle slow" I know. I made 22.5" extensions to the belly pan right and left and will work on wheel tubs to complete. Brake duct spindle flanges installed in the front....crude but effective. TIG welded 6061 aluminum tubing for the coolant tubes. I'll wrap with high density foam for insulation.

Still waiting for that LS7 and now (just waiting for Gary Armstrong's dry sump pan), will have a Ricardo shipped the first week of March. Put the G50.50 up on the classifieds here and at FFR site, FYI. Gotta work at the hospital Monday and Tuesday but then I've got 12 days off to play.

Attachments

• leftrearpan.jpg
    leftrearpan.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 673
  • Brake Ducts 2.jpg
    Brake Ducts 2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 654
  • Brake Ducts.jpg
    Brake Ducts.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 675
  • Driver Front.jpg
    Driver Front.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 635
  • Driver Side.jpg
    Driver Side.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 710
  • Right Front.jpg
    Right Front.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 666
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 641

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Looks good Doc - I like the belly pan extensions. Are you going to do the wheel tubs in aluminum?

I haven't looked very carefully at the coolant tubes that came with the car - are they aluminum or stainless? Going with aluminum makes a lot of sense considering the radiator and block are aluminum and the lighter weight is always good. I'm jealous of all of you that can weld - I've never done it. I wonder if a tube bending shop could do a continuous tube? I'll have to look into that.

12 days off - have fun with the car and keep us posted!

Regards,
Dave L

Dave,

The tubing is supplied as Stainless in segments. A continuous tube would be a great way to go if you can find (A) the tubing in the appropriate length and (B) the right shop. It might take a few return trips to the shop to get it right. Be sure to bead roll the ends first!

I took the tubing to a REAL TIG pro. He said "don't be ashamed, 0.65" tubing is very tricky". Made me feel good.......

Just a couple of photos of heat reflection attempts:

One on the firewall uses the typical Gold mylar foil/backing sold by virtually every supplier for racing use. Yes, I know I didn't do a great job but looking at the DP's, I'm not too far off! The second one is a roll of mylar tape, 6" x 72 yds using an acrylic adhesive. It is highly reflective. The third is a strip of aluminum with metallic gold paint on the right and the mylar tape on the left after applying maximum heat from my heat gun till you can't touch the aluminum. The bubbles were intentionally left under the tape to see what would happen. Remarkably, even the gold paint held up and reflected some heat (based on the imprecise "palm of hand test"). The mylar tape did just fine. I shot high heat on a "free edge" of the tape and could see it shrink but not burn.

I have painted the diagonal rods with the gold as a base and will try the tape over this.

Attachments

• GoldFoil.jpg
    GoldFoil.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 655
  • JVCC-MPF-01.jpg
    JVCC-MPF-01.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 558
  • Tape:Paint.jpg
    Tape:Paint.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 595
Hi Doc, great to see some good test results. I decided to overlay my bulkhead with Kevlar on the engine side and a heat insulator on the inside. Looking to powdercoat the diagonals gold too. Some heat protection, but mostly asthetic.

Cam,

I believe I'll use the foil tape on the diagonals. Since I have 72 yds!!! on the roll maybe other box tubes, fuel cell, belly pan, dry sump tank, breather cans.....? Just kidding :thumbsup:

Just so you know that there really is a LS7 being built for me by Mike Malone of MachineWorks :thumbsup::

His shop is huge, I'm only showing the main machining room and the clean room. The porting and chamber polishing job is beautiful and satin-smooth! He has completed the milling for the Jesel rockers, is finishing up the cam indexing, etc. Interestingly, the Katech timing chain doesn't fit as precisely as the LS7 chain on the billet sprocket set and it is not seamless like the LS7 chain. So he is checking around for a different "Uber-chain".

Just got my RaceLogic Traction Control and Hall-effect wheel transducers. Not at a point to install as yet.

Attachments

• MachineWorks.jpg
    MachineWorks.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 500
  • MainShop.jpg
    MainShop.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 451
  • CleanRoom.jpg
    CleanRoom.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 455
  • MyCorner.jpg
    MyCorner.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 435
  • Serdi100.jpg
    Serdi100.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 496
  • Chambers.jpg
    Chambers.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 426
  • ExhaustPorts.jpg
    ExhaustPorts.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 424
  • DualSprings.jpg
    DualSprings.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 399
Hi Cam,

Yes, Mike has his new shop just south of Greenville on Hwy34. I can attest to his workmanship as he did my Viper heads in the past. That Serdi machine is top notch for head milling. Not shown in his main shop is an even larger lathe out of the picture on the right near the one shown!

Hi Doc
I have loved watching your build, very cool so far and thanks for the pic's.
Your friends machine shop is imaculate, good to see:shy:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Hey Doc. How about some closeups of your brakes? Especially the rear caliper mounts. I have ideas........that are not completely formed yet. A look at yours would help I think.

Very nice work by the way.

Back