Doc's SL-C Build

Here relaxing after the GP of Canada. The CF valve covers came from Katech and were pricey but tall enough for the Jesel rockers (and DO look pretty nice).

Negra Modelo is a great dark beer from Mexico. A Michelada is lime juice and beer (usually light such as Pacifico) over ice. :thumbsup:

Doc

I managed to stab the Ricardo into the LS7 this weekend solo. Sore biceps, one scuffed knuckle and hardened nuts.... (for the bellhousing bolts)... is all it took. As usual, precision alignment is most important for success. I used calipers and patience with a touch of nudging to get the job done.

I am trying to get the engine dry fitted this month. Most of the SLC guys know I'm getting ready to move to San Angelo, Texas for a new Radiology position (about a 260 mile relocation). So, I'd like to make some progress on the build before it goes "dormant" for some time until I can build a shop on the new property (build coincidental with the new home I hope).

Attachments

• Adapter.jpg
    Adapter.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 663
  • LS7-Ricardo.jpg
    LS7-Ricardo.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 694
  • Ricardo-LS7.jpg
    Ricardo-LS7.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 711
  • RightSide.jpg
    RightSide.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 657
One more thing: Notice that the engine and Ricardo are balanced on those MotoFeet engine stands after the installation! That was most important for my ability to manipulate the transaxle while keeping the engine steady with no help.

Looks great! Is that a GM A/C Compressor? Sanden? What's the pulley for above the A/C next to the water pump?

Yep, the GM compressor. I believe that will need to be replaced with the Vintage Air unit.

The extra belt wraps around the Aviaid external oil scavenge pump.

Hi Doc, Nice looking setup you have going in the SLC.
Will the external oil pump clear the center section cross tubing? Or are you planning on notching it out similar to Howard? I noticed the guys with LS engines change the angle of the water pump inlet in order to clear the cross tube. What steering rack are you using?
My (hopeful) delivery date got moved back a couple of weeks. Bummer!

Wayne,

Well, not sure about clearances yet, but I think the external pump will clear. I think Earnie's had the Aviaid external pump.

My water outlet is a T-stat housing with AN20 bung. I will either use a swivel AN fitting and stock location T-stat or a remote T-stat in a CRC housing. Have not decided. I'll tackle engine install this month.

Settling on 55-60lb injectors. My calculations were confirmed by the guys at LG Motorsports (the yellow/black GT vette in Grand Am Series).

OK...D-Day for first test fitment.

Cam, I know you warned me about the alternator location! This will have to change to the CTS-V lower alternator location in order to fit without interfering with the chassis upper bar. I am showing the LS7 front serpentine setup with the upper alternator bracket.

The Aviaid accessory oil pump and pulley will fit.

The rear transaxle-frame bolts are very close to the Ricardo bell-housing such that a nut may interfere with the bell-housing.

But, all in all, not a bad first attempt.

Attachments

• FrontAccessories.jpg
    FrontAccessories.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 651
  • FirstFit.jpg
    FirstFit.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 614
  • FitRearView.jpg
    FitRearView.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 662
  • AviadFits.jpg
    AviadFits.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 599
  • NutInterference.jpg
    NutInterference.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 607
Cam,

So far, yes they clear. It will depend of course on the AN fittings selected.

Jack: Two days fishing.....5 dorado (two were weighed at 45lbs each!) and 6 yellowfin tuna. Two 2-tank dive days as well!

Doc

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Moving to San Angelo eh? Little closer to me, eh? Easier for me to visit. Hahaha. Progress looks great. Wish I was closer so I could help (or hamper) progress. When is the big move sir? Have you already found a place? You do realize that the Goodyear test track is just north of San Angelo don't ya?

Laters,

Brian

Brian,

Yep, been by the GY test track. Maybe they need a test car for some track tires? :idea:

I have picked up a 66AC property in Christoval to build on (including a shop, of course) and have leased a house till then.

The move will be in stages, first me and the basics, then after we sell our Lone Oak horse property, all the rest. I do start the new position August 1st. We MAY move the SLC earlier for me to work on in my wife's absence. But, I can always commute back to Lone Oak on weekends till the move is complete (5 hour drive).

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wow that's about 400 miles... from Lone Oak to Christoval... You'll need an SLC to make that trip in 5 hours! :D

Love the San Angelo area.. Someday... ((sigh))...

Quoted from Cam's thread, I didn't want to jack his thread with questions about your build.
BTW, I got the fuel cell back from Harmon Racing and from Fran....added a tube through the cell where there was just bladder showing....much better.
Is the tube removable?
If so, how is it secured?
If not, how do you plan on servicing the bladder if/when needed?

I'm on the verge of redoing my cell for several reasons. One of my problems is that because the rotary sits lower, the shifter cables cannot make the turn out of the firewall. There are several solutions, one is moving the engine back but I don't really want to. The other is to angle the pass through tube in the fuel cell towards the drivers side as both cables will be routed that way anyways. I'm also considering a bladder setup but have concerns about the pass through tube and serviceability.

Back