Door sealing issues at high speed? Design flaw?

I am curious what the factory fix is ??
An upper window latch would be easy. But it would need to be opened from outside too.
That's the part I have been struggling with ….

Hopefully he won't mind me linking to his (public) build blog, but look 3 or 4 pics down here. I think it's a nice unobtrusive solution.

Somewhere I saw a slightly cleaner option with an aluminum finger that engaged a hole in the spider's thickness. I think it was on a GTR.

I am curious what the factory fix is ??
An upper window latch would be easy. But it would need to be opened from outside too.
That's the part I have been struggling with ….

Again,
1. At what speed does this become an issue?
2. Are there any ill effects from it, i.e. spider cracking paint, etc?
If #1 is >125mph, and #2 is 'no ill effects', I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I suppose if you are going to be tracking the car, the aesthetics of the fix (i.e. the big locking tab) are not a big deal. Tell the nit-pickers who point it out, "That keeps the wind noise down at 170mph. Just like the race cars at LeMans."

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hopefully he won't mind me linking to his (public) build blog, but look 3 or 4 pics down here. I think it's a nice unobtrusive solution.

Somewhere I saw a slightly cleaner option with an aluminum finger that engaged a hole in the spider's thickness. I think it was on a GTR.
I had those on my DAX I believe GTD, original CAV factory used to make them and now probably Tornado and AK/southern

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Again,
1. At what speed does this become an issue?
2. Are there any ill effects from it, i.e. spider cracking paint, etc?
If #1 is >125mph, and #2 is 'no ill effects', I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I suppose if you are going to be tracking the car, the aesthetics of the fix (i.e. the big locking tab) are not a big deal. Tell the nit-pickers who point it out, "That keeps the wind noise down at 170mph. Just like the race cars at LeMans."
Before fitting the tabs at 100 mph and above I could fit my hand through the gap. Gap let in lots of water when it rained and you were driving .

Original GT40s had Louvre panels in roof section behind the doors to let air out.

Ian

On my SLC the doors will crack open enough that I can detect an air pressure/temperature change in the cabin at about 130-150mph. I've experienced it a few times while testing my car in Mexico. I haven't observed any ill effects (bodywork/plastidip issues) but I rarely get my car up to those speeds, at least not sustained. I don't think this phenomenon is an issue for most SLC owners.

Ultimas also have exactly the same problem with the rear edge of the door lifting at speed. From what I understand it is a function of the high speed air over the top of the curved roof that creates a low pressure above the door corner, leading to it being pushed up.

I remember seeing some owners had fitted extra over center catches that could be secured from the inside to hold the corner down.

Back