Door seals

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I'm sure it's on page 47 of someone's thread already, but I can't find it, so, what are you using for sealing the doors. I rinsed off the car today to clean up all the sanding dust and when I was done, the seats were full of water. I think I need to seal the doors. :laugh:

Edit: Oops, I meant to post this in the SLC Clubhouse...

McMaster 93085K16 is what I used around the doors.

I used a trim-lok profile for some 1/8" edges, esp around the back of the spider.

I plan to use 1" wide by 1/16" felt or foam as well to help seal the door edges, making a kind of double seal.

Also, I used expanding foam tape to seal a lot of irregular openings between the body and the chassis. This foam tape is fantastic- it comes off the roll about 1/4" thick, but expands to an inch or so over 24 hours. Here's the link to it: McMaster-Carr

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those up Will. I was planning to do a backer rod and a body seam filler, but that expanding double sided tape looks promising.

Rune

Supporter
A question here how does this foam react if the gap is less than 11/4" does it expand to fill all gap and then stay like so? if not one can have problem if door is left open for a while.
Rune.

Another cost effective option is look at Home depots selection of foam tapes online. You might find an application that works better for certain locations.
enjoy the building experience!

Also, I used expanding foam tape to seal a lot of irregular openings between the body and the chassis. This foam tape is fantastic- it comes off the roll about 1/4" thick, but expands to an inch or so over 24 hours. Here's the link to it: McMaster-Carr

Will, nice catch. I've never seen this yet. I can see a dozen uses right now.

Question: will the tape expand enough (with enough force) to push panels apart, where I don't want them to.... if that makes sense re: filling the void is okay, but any further movement is not wanted.

Will, nice catch. I've never seen this yet. I can see a dozen uses right now.

Question: will the tape expand enough (with enough force) to push panels apart, where I don't want them to.... if that makes sense re: filling the void is okay, but any further movement is not wanted.

It does have some force, but it hasn't pushed any panels apart in my car. But I've mostly used it to seal the body against the chassis.

Back