DOT Approved - Street Legal Harness

Has anyone got any thoughts on a suitable harness that could pass Vehicle Inspection.?

In Australia they must also have an ELR - Emergency Locking Retractor.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I would take it as an inertia reel/retractor seat belt, that must remain tensioned and lock upon braking.

Securon in the UK makes a harness style retractable as does Corbeau but they are over the shoulder rear seat mount for the retractor.
Australian DoT compliance is likely different than US, I'd start with some of the aftermarket Australian specific providers e.g. www.seatbeltsolutions.com.au or seatsafe.com.au

Neil

Supporter
An SFI certified 4, 5, 6, or 7-point harness is not considered safe enough to be used on the street in Australia? ???

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
"safe enough" and "DoT legal" are likely quite different in getting past a vehicle inspection. Strictly speaking very few if any harnesses are US DoT compliant, in a rollover you are pinned in the seat and crush zone.

What is an "Emergency Locking Retractor"?

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ

An ELR - Emergency Locking Retractor is a TYPE-4 Retractor, in Australia and also the EU(?) drivers belt must incorporate an Emergency Locking Retractor, passenger an others can have ALR - Automatic Locking Retractor.

I would take it as an inertia reel/retractor seat belt, that must remain tensioned and lock upon braking.

Securon in the UK makes a harness style retractable as does Corbeau but they are over the shoulder rear seat mount for the retractor.
Australian DoT compliance is likely different than US, I'd start with some of the aftermarket Australian specific providers e.g. www.seatbeltsolutions.com.au or seatsafe.com.au

I have been looking at the SECURON 700 Harness and have purchased a pair with a Date of Manufacture of 2017, this was the last year Securon had there Harness Belts Certified to ECE R16/04.
Due to the low volume of orders they are not going to get there Harness Belts Certified to the current EU ECE R16/06.

The Corbeau Harness is NOT Certified for Road Use, Off Road Only.

Now I have to get my car "Engineer Certified" this year, before they say the belts are to old.

This is what the Securon 700 Harness looks like. 2" Straps, 3 point Harness with ELR Type-4 Retractor.
700black.jpg
SECURON 700 ELR.jpeg

Attachments

• Securon 700 - ECE R16 04.jpg
    Securon 700 - ECE R16 04.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 307

Nothing available in Australia, I have been searching for nearly 12 months.

Back