Driveshaft flange conversion? Hybrid shafts

Hi all,

Just getting to the part of my project where I've got to start thinking about driveshafts.

Now I have sierra rear axles coupled to sierra drum hubs and a disc conversion. These use 'push in' type shafts and therefore I'm struggling to find a solution to bolting them up to the standard audi 01E box flanges (108mm PCD I believe).

Now I understand that there's an unwritten rule that means generally if you have a driveshaft with a certain number of splines, they will generally be the same diameter regardless of manufacturer. Does this mean if I remove the push- in tripod I should be able to fit a suitable cv with 108 pcd bolting pattern? Any ideas on where to source one?

Other than this is there a way of converting the 01E to 100mm flanges of push-in shafts?

Many thanks in advance guys

Steve

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all,

Just getting to the part of my project where I've got to start thinking about driveshafts.

Now I understand that there's an unwritten rule that means generally if you have a driveshaft with a certain number of splines, they will generally be the same diameter regardless of manufacturer. Does this mean if I remove the push- in tripod I should be able to fit a suitable cv with 108 pcd bolting pattern? Any ideas on where to source one?

Steve

I am fairly certain this is not the case
I have VW transporter type 2shafts on mine
Same spline count as Ford
Ford splines are rounded on the ends and the VW are square (or vice verca)

Anyway not interchangable

Ian

Hi all,

Now I have sierra rear axles coupled to sierra drum hubs and a disc conversion. These use 'push in' type shafts and therefore I'm struggling to find a solution to bolting them up to the standard audi 01E box flanges (108mm PCD I believe).

Other than this is there a way of converting the 01E to 100mm flanges of push-in shafts?

Steve

If you were to get some 2wd cosworth hub flanges they will be 108mm on the cv`s. They may push straight into your drum brake hubs. I have some here so I will measure the spline and diameter. All you will need then is a cossie or audi shaft cut down. If you want to mix and match driveshafts have a gander at this site.Sierra Rear Drive Shafts - Seventh Heaven - Locost - Haynes Roadster

Bob

Hi All, It would appear i have 114mm flanges. The Sierra standard Lobro joints are either 100mm PCD or 108mm.... So it does seam like adapters will be required. Is there a problem with using tripod style outer joints and Lobro style inner?

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• CV Adapters2.JPG
    CV Adapters2.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 908
Hi Andy,

Did you buy them, or make them? Does anyone know where might have such a thing on the shelf or ability to design and make them?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Andy,

Did you buy them, or make them? Does anyone know where might have such a thing on the shelf or ability to design and make them?

Cheers

Steve

Steve,

I made those some years ago. Can't say who might offer such adapters, but perhaps the guys in AUS or NZ, where the 01e seems to be quite popular in their GT40's, may know.

Andys

Back