Dubai GT40 Decision

Hiya, First post, so I would like to ask some opinions.

I am a Canadian expat, living in Dubai.
I would like to build either a GT40, or a Cobra Daytona Coupe.
I had originally planned to order a Kirkham cobra, but convertibles and Dubai just do not seem such a wise move.

So, between the two cars, and I know that plenty have asked about "what kit should I buy" but there are some unique considerations here,

The temps here in the summer can reach 50 degrees C, today it will be 40, and it will not start cooling down till October, so does anyone know what effect if any these kind of temps will have on the various kits bodies?
(Plently of corvettes here)
Air conditioning, this is an essential, and while I know both can be fit with it, is there a particular kit which is more suitable?

It is more complicated to get anything shipped here, so which kit would be most suitable in terms of complete.

I am leaning towards the bailey Edwards GT40, as it looks great, appears complete, and is located in South Africa, which could aid in shipping.
I know the Superformance kits are also SA based, and they do both, but I would rather go the full build route.

so any suggestions would be great,
( does anyone know of eithe kit being built in the UAE?)
cheers

Hi,

Wow, I am also a canadian expat in Dubai looking at building a GT40. We should meet up and chat. Been doing some research and as far as I know no others here other than a few cobra's. There has been a number of caterham's that have been built.

Send me a PM and we can hook up

Pete,you have some choices here with the GT40 car as many of the of the manufacturers are SA based although there are a couple US based that produce quality kits.From SA,as you mentioned,you have the Bailey Edwards and the SPF.Your choice here would be whether you want monocoque construction(SPF) or the B-E car which is a space frame chassis that is aluminum skin clad to resemble monocoque.The rest are monocoque and from SA that includes Auto Futura(formerly CAV) and the new to the market Backdraft car which,per Jay at Vintage Motorsports,is a stainless steel unit.The BDR is a turn-key minus as is the SPF.Here in the US,we have at least two monocoque quality kits.They are the Race Car Replicas RCR40 that features an extremely accurate and well designed all aluminum chassis and the ERA unit that has a steel chassis.Both excellent cars.Fran Hall of RCR has worked with a supplier to produce an air conditioning system kit that is specifically designed for this car.I don't know if the Active Power 40 is still in production. As for the Daytona coupe,there are several manufacturers that produce tube frame fiberglass cars and even in aluminum.A/C will be needed in any of these as well.For a large list of car and equipment suppliers,I suggest you start with the KIT CAR Magazine Buyer's Guide,available through the back-order department from the same.The people on this Forum have,as you may have noticed,all been very willing to help each other with parts,hints and advice in construction and with locating parts-one needs only to ask-they'll be there for you.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Pete

We can ship a package to you without any problems.

We have spaceframe and steel Monocoque versions available.

We have a full carbon fibre Monocoque under development which will be available before the end of the year.

We have full A/C kits, removable door tops and a roadster version in the pipe line.

You can visit our web site at Tornado Sports Cars

Thanks

Andy

Hi Pete,

What Canadair equipment are you involved with?

Global Express?

Challenger 604?

I used to fly as a Flight Mechanic on a 601-3A ER (s/n 5077 if memory serves me correctly) all over the middle/far east in the mid 90's.

Best regards,
Scott

Back