EFI Butterfly Alternatives

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Slightly out of left field, but has anyone had experience with the "sliding plate" setup for throttle control (as opposed to the conventional butterflies) ?

The concept has been hovering in the back of my mind since I saw a few vintage Brabham F1 cars with this setup on the Repco engines. Then I saw the following post which shows much the same thing on a flat 8 Porsche engine :

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/porsche-917-talk/21795-917-flat-12-engine-drawings.html

It stands to reason that this type of arrangement would totally solve the linkage/synchronisation problem between butterflies on each bank (once machined right, they should stay right forever) - you would only have to get the left & right banks synched.

Maybe there is a problem in terms of the linearity of the throttle opening for road use (or maybe an issue with keeping things clean & sliding freely without a tear-down between races) ?

Any experience or ideas ?

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete, i'm pretty sure the Cosworth DFV has sliding plate system too. I imagine getting it to slide freely AND seal well would be a challenge.

According to my book "Anatomy and Development of the Grand Prix Car" by Sal Incandela, the DFV used sliding plates up right up until it's retirement in 1983. I need to read more into what advantage it would have, but I would imagine that a butterfly would have an advantage in terms of airflow and distribution from the trumpet into the actual throttle body. A sliding plate would probably cause the air to tumble into the throttle body/carb at part throttle operation.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Tim, I reckon that you are right regarding the sliding & sealing - both would be difficult to maintain on a road car unless you had better things to do !

Joe, I guess that race cars are pretty-much "On & Off" the throttle - not to much care given to driveability in road traffic on part-throttle settings ! It makes sense that a butterfly valve will give a more even & balanced air flow "down the hole" than a sliding flat plate, so maybe that's another reason why we don't see this used on road cars ?

(Not hard to tell who is on the verge of retirement, & is looking to fix things that ain't really broke) !!!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Tim, I reckon that you are right regarding the sliding & sealing - both would be difficult to maintain on a road car unless you had better things to do !

Joe, I guess that race cars are pretty-much "On & Off" the throttle - not to much care given to driveability in road traffic on part-throttle settings ! It makes sense that a butterfly valve will give a more even & balanced air flow "down the hole" than a sliding flat plate, so maybe that's another reason why we don't see this used on road cars ?

(Not hard to tell who is on the verge of retirement, & is looking to fix things that ain't really broke) !!!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Well....not necessarily since the DFV was a road racing engine, some consideration had to be given to driveability. I can't imagine that having an on/off switch under your right foot was good for mid corner stability. I think you're right in that the major advantage of a sliding plate is synchronization and balance. But for overall driveability, the butterfly is a better choice IMO.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The early Gurney-Weslake small blocks used a sliding plate throttle system. They were used on both Dan's Can-Am and Indy cars with the 289/302 engines. He also delevoped it for the Ford 4 cam engine.

AAR claimed a power advantage over the butterfly Hilborn system, I have no idea of how the mid range was.

Rick

The carbs on my shifter Karts (125 and 80) are of the slide type as are most carbs on motorcycles (at least they were). One thing I can say is that this is not a on/off setup at all.

Back