Electric/electronic hand brake calipers

Has anyone explored the potential plusses/minuses of these systems.

Looks like a winning arrangement. Certainly easier than running cables all over the place.

Clive

Clive it not just the calipers.
It requires a full abs system.

It is constantly live and if it sees the car move as the system cools it clamps up to hold it.
I think a design requirement also requires the horn , hazards and h/lamps must all go off if it becomes a run away to let you know you need to get the f**k out of the way.

You also need a scanner to fit brake pads as you need to retract the pistons.

Lot of work for a handbrake.

Jim

Has anyone explored the potential plusses/minuses of these systems.

Looks like a winning arrangement. Certainly easier than running cables all over the place.

Clive

The only basic system for an alternative to the conventional hand brake would be a spring brake off a small truck but that would need a small amount of compressed air to release the brake. A bit more weight and complication for not much gain.

Bob

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/...hDhWTc-IsYzbPablMYBXjWhMrxS8b94QGttbfZHTBIoRQ

I have one of these on my car. You just need a regular caliper, a master cylinder and a way to actuate it. No need to worry about ABS, or anything else. It works just like a mechanical handbrake, in the sense that it is completely standalone. Perhaps the international folks have to worry about such integration, but it certainly isn't needed for use in the USA.

Mine has a linear actuator to push on the MC, and a hydraulic line to the caliper. You could also use a completely mechanical connection to the appropriate caliper(s) if you wanted to use cables- just have the linear actuator reverse and pull on the cable(s) as needed. I wanted a simpler approach, and wanted to eschew cables, so I have a hydraulic line going to the single caliper (I am aware of the controversy about the idea, but so far I think it will be fine, as the rotor is a dedicated one and doesn't get hot at all).

It's just for parking, really. I don't expect to have to use it to slow down in an emergency (hey, I'll just toss it into a slide and get stopped that way if I really do lose all other braking). :)

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
My parking brake consist of a length of 7/8" hardwood dowel carefully placed betweent the brake pedal and the underside edge of the dash. 36 grit pressure sensitive sandpaper gives me the assurance the dowel will not slip out of place. :stunned:

Did I every tell you guys how much I love gadgets?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Isaac

On the current Astras and similar the hand brake is a switch like a window switch (up and down)
Press up and it sounds like small winch winds in the cable to actuate the brakes
Press down and the winch releases

Is a winch or an actuator? I don't know as I only drove it once as a loan car and it was crap!

Some of that electronic gadgetry in there too as for a hill start you set the brake and when you pull off it automatically releases

You cannot do handbrake turns etc as once it senses the car is moving it releases the brake

Ian

Back