Emergency Brake Issue

Phil G

Supporter
I have the RCR Wilwood Emergency Brake setup. In order to pass sate inspection with the car running the e brake needs to stop the car from moving forward when releasing the clutch. No matter how much I tighten the cables the pads will not stop the car from moving. Is this common or anyone else have this issue or a way to fix it?
Thanks
Phil

Bill Kearley

Supporter
It must be TO MUCH POWER !!! I'm using Willwood MC4 calipers , not sure they will stall the engine though. The inspector can't see what your feet are doing while the test is under way and as you flip a switch to turn off you'r brake lights. like in the old trans am days

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Phil,

I'm a big fan of Wilwood products, having installed many complete systems or upgrades of existing OEM calipers/rotors/hats etc.

However the mechanical spot calipers may not meet safety inspection requirements in all jurisdictions. You're probably not alone as Wilwood introduced an electric parking brake a while ago.

This system looks a lot like current OEM parking brake technology. Heck, you could even use it for Hill Assist or in conjunction with an anti theft system.

Worth considering IMHO, links below.

Cheers
Ian

Wilwood Disc Brakes - Calipers Description
ds1353.pdf (wilwood.com)

Phil G

Supporter
Thanks Guys.
I think I have it adjusted enough to pass inspection. I will know Monday morning when he comes to inspect.
Ian thanks for that info..if it does not pass I will have to consider the Wilwood Electric brake.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It never ceases to amaze me that people and governing bodies refer to “parking brakes” as “emergency brakes”.
They were never (as far as I am aware) meant to be an auxiliary braking system. They were merely to keep the car from rolling on its own.

Neil

Supporter
It never ceases to amaze me that people and governing bodies refer to “parking brakes” as “emergency brakes”.
They were never (as far as I am aware) meant to be an auxiliary braking system. They were merely to keep the car from rolling on its own.
I think the term "emergency brake" dates back to the mechanical brake days- before the era of hydraulic brakes. Mechanical brakes were notoriously poor and another brake was provided for "emergencies."

Back