Engine advice and suppliers

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Not that I am considering a crate engine but I recieved an email from Ford racing today stating that they have just introduced a new 306 Cubic Inches 340 hp Crate Engine which is $3495.00

Details here if anyone is interested:
Ford Racing Performance Parts []

Something just bugged me about this engine Trev... The OEM selling an engine with a block overbore of .030 as new? Just doesn't add up.
Then I read through the ad and saw the following;

Seasoned block and precision ground crankshaft

Ah HAH! She's a Remanufactured unit!

Reading in deeper on their website - it would seem that many parts used in their crate engines have possibly seen duty in a Taxi-Cab or ???

All that said - it's hard to beat the warranty support of the OEM although I'm sure there are plenty of engine builders that would claim their support as being superior (and may well be).

Trond

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

My expirience is that a used block and crank often is just as good or even better then new parts if the machining and balancing is done good. (of course giving that the parts has no damage in the first place)

The reason is that all material has some tension (is this the right word??) in it when new. After some use this tension is out of the material and when beeing machined a second time you get a better result then new.

Bottom line a rebuildt/machined unit might often be better than new if done properly. If this is delivered with a warranty from Ford Racing I would not be worried.

Regards
Trond

Back