engine and foundry decals

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Does anyone know which engine decals would have been appropriate for a 1968 SBF 302 in a GT40 Mark I? I've seen photos of BBF engines with oval stickers on the valve covers identifying the engine as built by Ford E&F. Does anyone know if there were similar stickers of any kind for SBF engines? I had the impression that since the race efforts quickly concentrated on the BBF engines, not many (if any) SBF engines were built up for racing GT40s. By the time GT40s were raced with SBF engines, the teams would have build their own engines and Ford E&F would have been out of the picture, I would think. Thanks in advance.

Never heard of a Big Block Ford. Ford never made those. Chevy had Big Block Chevy's
Ford have engine families, Winsor, FE, Cleveland & Clevor, Coyote, Aluminisor and Godzilla

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Never heard of a Big Block Ford. Ford never made those. Chevy had Big Block Chevy's
Ford have engine families, Winsor, FE, Cleveland & Clevor, Coyote, Aluminisor and Godzilla

You left out a few, but I beg to differ on there not being an engine that was recognized as the BBF. That would be the FE series. Why? Because they were the larger alternative to the Windsor engines that were known as SBF which were available from Ford during roughly the same time frame.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Ah, yes. How about that....
I am going to assume that none of the small block engines had E/F decals on the valve covers. At least I can't find any photos of any valve covers on SBF engines with E/F decals. If anyone knows more on this (because I know very little) please enlighten me. Thank you in advance.

You left out a few, but I beg to differ on there not being an engine that was recognized as the BBF. That would be the FE series. Why? Because they were the larger alternative to the Windsor engines that were known as SBF which were available from Ford during roughly the same time frame.
All gets a bit murky with the BBF moniker as there are the Lincoln , Edsel & Mercury offerings as well, Calliope was one.

Ah, yes. How about that....
I am going to assume that none of the small block engines had E/F decals on the valve covers. At least I can't find any photos of any valve covers on SBF engines with E/F decals. If anyone knows more on this (because I know very little) please enlighten me. Thank you in advance.
Dont remember ever seeing E&F decals on SBF stuff Jim, but did sell a set of the 'square' ` 67/68 rocker covers from a late 289 that went on one of Lotus 30 sports cars that has raced @ Goodwood, it had large 'breather box's fabricated that added volume, IIRC you once posted pics of similar rocker covers, or it may have been Jay C.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Rocker covers with extra volume....
1622374862439.png

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
All gets a bit murky with the BBF moniker as there are the Lincoln , Edsel & Mercury offerings as well, Calliope was one.
Most of those engines pre-date the Windsor series (221-351w) Small Blocks unless I’m mistaken... The Y-Block might be considered a small block when compared to the Edsel 410 et al..

Most of those engines pre-date the Windsor series (221-351w) Small Blocks unless I’m mistaken... The Y-Block might be considered a small block when compared to the Edsel 410 et al..
Had a 410 to rebuild a decade or two ago, If you like thinking outside the box a lot of stuff from 429-460 engines can be fitted with some mods around rear main seal etc, with all the stroker cranks available now you should be able to make up around 500 cubes with a steel crank. Heads are fairly generous in ports as well.

I thought that by the time the 302 was being used it was all Gurney headed ?
The 289 stuff in 64 and 65 i am not sure about though.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I think 107 and its contemporaries all had GW heads, etc. I decided no EF decals. I did find the ones that are on the breather caps in the photo above. Change the oil every 6000 miles. In other words, more or less you can run two LeMans 24h races before you change the oil, LOL. If any of it's left in there.

Back