Engine hoist and stand suggestions for 302

Hi Everyone,

While waiting to decide whether to build a GT40 or not, I went ahead and bought a Ford 302 off eBay! Apparently, it is a 1991 Ford 302 out of a Thunderbird, and shipped from the States. I have no idea what mileage it has done or what condition it is in at the moment.

The pallet weight says 185kg and it does not come with everything - ancillaries etc, but does have iron heads.

Over the next few months, I plan to clean and strip the engine, and hopefully rebuild as a 347 Stroker. I will need to lift the engine onto a stand, and then with gearbox into the car. I have no provision for block-and-tackle from the roof.

So my question is: what engine hoist should I be looking at - 500kg, 1 tonne, 2tonne? and what engine stand rating to look at - 500lb, 1000lb, I stand, U stand, etc.?

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Phil,
Biggest load is always better. I’ve just bought a 2 ton folding crane from eBay for £170 and picked up a decent unused engine stand from FB marketplace for £20! They’ll both take more than I’ll ever need but you never know!
Plenty around
Simon

Mike Pass

Supporter
Check that the arm is long enough. It is a long way from the back of the car to the centre of the engine bay. Get a strong one as 400+lbs bouncing around at the end of a long arm is not helpful. The bare block weighs about 150 pounds.

Re. the 1991engine. Check out the info below for emissions requirement.
Engine block date up to 31-7-1975 – no visible smoke

Engine block date 1-8-1975 to 31-7-1986 – no visible visual and less than (or equal to) 4.5 CO and 1200 HC at normal rpm hot idle. HC can be tested at 2,000rpm if Co passes at idle.

Engine block date 1-8-1986 to 31-7-1995 – no visible smoke and less than (or equal to) 3.5 CO and 1200 HC at normal rpm hot idle. HC can be tested at 2,000rpm if CO passes at idle.

Engine block date 1-8-1995 on
With oil temp at 60deg C, No visible smoke and at fast idle (2,500 -3,000rpm) less than (or equal to)
0.3% CO and 200 HC, Lambda 0.97 to 1.03.
At idle CO should be less than (or equal to) 0.5%. Catalytic convertors and fuel injection is mandatory.

There are two types of 347 stroker. 28oz balance with usually cast cranks and neutral balance which usually have forged steel cranks.
I have an article on the SBF I did for the club magazine - send me a PM through this forum if you would like a copy.
Cheers
Mike

So my question is: what engine hoist should I be looking at - 500kg, 1 tonne, 2tonne?

When checking the weight capacity of the engine hoist, make sure it's for full extension.

If you only need it to take it on and off the engine stand, you might want to check what it costs to rent one compared to purchasing one.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Another solution is a chainblock in a tree or in the rafters. Hoist engine, and roll the car underneath and drop the engine in:)

otherwise a 2 ton engine hoist, fully extended lifts 400kg.

kind regards
Morten

Attachments

• 7BDCC7CB-ED07-4986-AE82-7C8DCDF20F03.png
    7BDCC7CB-ED07-4986-AE82-7C8DCDF20F03.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 166
Back