Engine origin?

Is the Ford GT engine a completely new design motor or is it a modified base engine?
A friend of mine is showing great interest in the new Ford GT, especially it's engine. I'm not sure what he has in mind but I know he is planning an engine up-grade!!
Any help appreciated.

From Ford's June 2003 press release

[ QUOTE ]
Supercharged 5.4-liter V-8

The Ford GT is driven by an all-new, mid-engined powertrain producing 500 horsepower and 500 foot-pounds of torque. The engine architecture comes from Ford's MOD engine family, which includes performance powertrains like the 390-horsepower 4.6-liter DOHC supercharged V-8 in the SVT Mustang Cobra and the 380-horsepower 5.4-liter SOHC supercharged V-8 in the SVT F-150 Lightning.

The Ford GT engine features an all-new, aluminum block fitted with high-flow, four-valve cylinder heads and dual overhead camshafts. To bear the stresses necessary to produce 500 horsepower, a forged-steel crankshaft, shot-peened H-beam connecting rods and forged aluminum pistons are used. In total, 85 percent of the reciprocating parts are unique to the Ford GT.

Fuel is delivered via dual fuel injectors per cylinder. A modified screw-type supercharger blowing through a water-to-air intercooler supplies sufficient airflow for engine output.

Curt Hill's team specified two race-inspired powertrain components, a dry-sump oil system and a twin-plate clutch. The high-capacity, dry-sump oil system provides consistent lubrication, even during maximum handling. The twin-plate clutch delivers low pedal efforts while still providing the clamp loads necessary to handle 500 foot-pounds of torque. More significantly, these two features allow the powertrain to sit more than 4 inches lower in the frame as compared with the front-engined SVT Mustang Cobra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope this helps with whatever mad plans he's thinking of.

Rob

Paul,
I think its pretty similar to the same engine SVT did for the F150 Lightning concept earlier this year. They dio some trick stuff with the supercharger/intercooler to produce the extra charge.

Brett

Ron Earp

Admin
Gary have you seen anything on variable valve timing, intake and exhaust? I saw that in Automobile magazine and I was wondering what range they could tune over.

But, it also brings out the critical side of me: 5.4L, 4 valve heads, a blower, variable valve timing, and only 500hp. Heck, I can make 500hp with a 351W, 2 valve heads, and a push rod cam. For about $5000 too.

I like the new motor in some respects because I know the torque curve will be fantasitc. But I'm also suprised that they just didn't work a little bit more and make it 600hp or so - I'm sure that is what will happen with some blower pulley swaps and increased boost.

R

I missed the fact that they had variable valve timing. I understand that the torque curve is real nice. Flat down to low RPM's, etc.

It's basically a hopped up Triton truck engine. Shares the same bore spacing as all other modular engines. Scary bore/stroke ratio. Heads are probably not significantly different than those on the Lincoln Navigator. Block is aluminum for the GT, and probably beefed up on account of it. I'm sure Ford is using the experience gained from and the suppliers used for the 2003 Cobra (blown 4.6) and Gen II Lightning (blown 5.4) for pistons, rods, and air-water intercooler. Lysolm is the twin-screw blower manufacturer, and this is a departure from the 03 Cobra and the Lightning because those vehicles used a roots style blower rather than the more efficient twin screw setup.

Expect to see someone like Saleen, Sean Hyland (**shudder**) or Kenny Belle offer smaller pulleys for the blower, which would up the boost, or in the case of Kenny Belle, an entirely new blower for the GT.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Mark/Gary,

The major stuff is well documented but I'm still not sure what to make of the variable valve timing. This is from an Automobile article, not the most technical of magazines though, but it states it clearly.

I have never heard of Ford looking at variable valve timing on any of the mod motors.

Ron

Paul,
IF they offer the engine up for mormal sale. You should be able to get it through Ford Powewr Porducts, who are the guys for selling external powertrain etc. This is where Nobel buy their engines. They have dealers in the UK. But at the moment, they are not even offering the HO Mustang engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif , unless it is on a special order and then they want dollars......

Brett

Back