Engine puzzle for you

Firstly, I should say Hello to everyone, and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Secondly, my problem is this, I have a 1955 Ford F100 pick up with either a 289 or 302 of unknown age or history fitted to it (I'm not sure which as I can't seem to find any ID on it!), which although scruffy is running. It will sit and tick over all day, but try and drive it anywere and in no around a mile or so, it cuts out and becomes difficult to re-start, but if left for a while, it will re-start ok. The problems I know of are as follows; the auto choke doesn't seem to operate (the carb is the original Motorcraft twin barrel), it has a very noisy rocker on the left bank, numerous oil leaks, and the oil pressure is possibly a little low at around 60psi (although I've no idea what it should be or if the guage is accurate)

Other than that the engine is responsive enough, although son one occasion when it did re-start in the middle of one hissy fit the oil pressure did drop and it felt as if it was only on half throttle.

I'm at a loss to explain what the problem is as engines aren't my thing, but one suggestion made was to try an electric fuel pump as it all points to fuel starvation.

Any suggestions would be welcome, and once again thanks for taking the time to read this.

Back