ERA Brass / Copper Radiator Connections

I have a RF40 that is using a radiator from an ERA (at least that is what the previous owner told me). The radiator is brass and/or copper construction. It has 1 1/2" connections at the bottom left and bottom right and a 1/4" connection (air bleed) at the upper right (right / left from drivers perspective). There are also two thermo switches installed in the bottom of the radiator, one towards the right side and one towards the left side.

Does anyone know the flow path through this radiator? I am assuming that it is up through 1/2 of the core to the top tank and then down through the other 1/2 of the core (no side tanks, only top and bottom).

I am assuming that I can pipe the hot water to either side and use the other side as the return, but should use the thermo switch on the hot side to operate the fans.

Thanks for any feedback, Bill

my era radiator is all aluminum. both connections on the bottom of the radiator. with bleed on the top left (driver side) don't think its an era
LLoyd

Bill:
Posting a photo would be helpful for sure. It sounds like you may have a GTD radiator as they were brass/copper.
You could always remove the radiator and try some temporary connections to check out the water flow.
You want the radiator to be full or nearly full before the exit side has flow, otherwise the coolant will find the path of least resistance and the radiator will be really inefficient.
As far as the coolant sensors/switches those could have been added later.
Good luck with it
Cheers
Phil

Early ERA GTs used a copper/brass radiator. The configuration is similar to the later aluminum design, with a rounded upper tank and a slanted lower tank. Flow is up one side and down the other. My recollection is that we only had one bleeder on the top (could be wrong) and one boss for the thermoswitch on the bottom (also could be wrong...).

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Bob, your description of the early ERA radiator sounds spot on. There is only one bleed connection on the upper right on my radiator, however, there are two thermo switches and the bosses both look like they were factory done, versus one being added later. I have posted a picture below that shows the radiator (installed).

The picture only shows the connection on one side, but the other side is a mirror image of the one shown. Based on the assumed flow up one side, down the other, does it make a difference which connection the hot water in and cooler water return connect to? Thanks, Bill

Attachments

• GT40_034.jpg
    GT40_034.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 293
That does look like one of ours. The water path is normally in on the right, out on the left, but as a matter of cooling function, it really doesn't matter. We put our fan thermo-switch on the return side, so that it only turns on if there isn't enough natural air flow to cool the water down adequately.

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
You may want to also consider upsizing the cool water inlet side of the radiator. In old fords, this was 1.625 - 1.75" (as opposed to 1.5" ) which was the inlet size for a 6 cyl. - keep in mind this is under suction from the pump, it would reduce the restriction of flow of cool water into the engine. --

Bob,

Thanks for the verification. Also, makes a lot of sense to have the switch on the return side. I should have thought of that, duh! All set now.

Regards,
Bill

Back