Exhaust gasket recommendations?

SPF GT40 running a Windsor based Dart 427 with AFR 205's. Seems the Felpro 1487's aren't up to the task anymore and have started to leak. Any recommendations?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have given up on using header gaskets altogether for both street and competition cars. Instead, I use Permatex High Temperature Red or Copper RTV. Put a bead around each header port and allow it to skin over (about 30 mins to an hour), then carefully bolt up and just snug the bolts - do not torque yet. Allow the RTV to cure at least 8 hours, then torque the header bolts. I've been doing it this way for over ten years on many cars and have yet to have a leaker.

Rich, you could try using copper gaskets - I make my own. They take about two hours each to make....which is a pain (I use the Felpro as a template), but they last forever and seal well. I put a very thin smear of Permatex Form-a-Gasket on the header side. Been doing this for many years and never had a blow out.

I also use copper RTV. I tried 2 pairs of gaskets and my turbo setup would have none of it. I had the heads and header flange machined flat, put an 1/8" bead around all the exhaust ports, waited like 15 minutes to let it cure some and then bolted it up. No problems for 2 years daily driven.

Back