Ferrari 360 Modena vs. GT40

Just a brain picker for all. I recently saw a Ferrari 360 Modena close to my home here in southeastern Ohio and began to wonder about the result of a possible tangle between the Ferrari and a well built up GT40 in road/race trim. Take my build for example. AP 4 piston brakes all around, adjustable Carerra coilovers, rubber bushed suspension joints (no, not rose jointed), 289 bored .030, stock stroke, Eagle H-beam rods, forged 10:1 pistons, Comp cams hyd. roller cam, AFR 185 heads, stack fuel injection, Renault UN1 transaxle, 225/50-16 and 255/45-16 rubber. Thinking of sprited fun in the southeastern hills of Ohio. Mostly curves with the occasional straight. Will the Ferrari leave the GT40 for dead or is it going to be a good stand up fight.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Jim Downard

Keith

On the brakes - definitely 1 up for the prancing horse. On grunt out of corners - GT40. On high speed curves - probably the prancing horse. On the straight - the 40! On a circuit, the 360 can more than hold it's own against more powerful opposition on the brakes alone, but I wouldn't bet against the 40 almost everywhere else given a determined & brave '40 driver..

MWGT40

Supporter
When I have been to circuits in the UK with my GTD I have always been quicker than the 360s there - but my car has been fairly extensively modified.

Also, the GTD40 car club race every year against the Ferrari Owners Club who have 360s amongst them - and usually beat them. This year for example, at Loton Park where we race them, the top 3 were all from our club - no Ferrari in sight.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That having been said, the 360 Modena is still a very good car.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I would have to guess, but I feel confident (especially, based on the other's input) in stating my initial reaction: I am not sure who would win in a single run, point to point, but I bet you'd do a lot better than you might think you would.

That said, it would actually have more to do with the drivers than the car. But, given that: the two of you were fairly equally talented/experienced, the tires were the same, equal amount of fuel, standard car weights (I have no clue what the standard weight of the Modena is, but I would guess it would be several hundred pounds more than your '40 and this would have no small effect), I'd stick with my statement that you would be able to hold your head up high in the end and the grin wouldn't come off your face for weeks!

Damn, that sounds like fun doesn't it?

Regards,
Lynn

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
I've been racing against a 360 modena all year and I can tell you the cars are fairly even.I have beaten him and he has beaten me about 50/50.My 40 has been improving all year
and the extra 15kw at the wheels proved that beating a Ferrari was no Problem.The 360 Modena does have a problem with standing starts because throttle can only be depressed after gear is selected. In other words when the red lights go out, the driver must only then, select 1st gear and floor the throttle.Of course by this time a GT40 is out in front and gone.

I'll bet this post has begun a little daydreaming around the board. Well, at least for those of use who haven't raced against a Ferrari. The thought of that little tangle does indeed sound fun.

Jim

Why don't you guys come up to Montreal for the Grand Prix?

They block off a street in Montreal just for Ferraris, how about une petite chasse de Ferrari...?

Something I've contemplated to do ONCE I'm on the road.

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
I had a day at Brands Hatch on the full GP circuit sharing with Robin Batt in my car some years ago, before the 360 was released. The 355 was the car then. Had plenty of fun catching and passing the 355s. It was only a GTO Evolution (full race monster) that was totally unbeatable.

At Goodwood this last Tuesday we had a newbie driver of a 40. His normal mount is a Lotus Esprit Turbo V8 with which he has had lots of track time. Julian's 40 totally blew his mind by comparison. His comment was that the 40 was just a raw driving experience compared to the comfort of his Lotus. I guess the same could be said of the 360.

However I do think the 360 is one of the best looking modern Ferraris for a long time.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been racing against a 360 modena all year and I can tell you the cars are fairly even.I have beaten him and he has beaten me about 50/50.My 40 has been improving all year
and the extra 15kw at the wheels proved that beating a Ferrari was no Problem.The 360 Modena does have a problem with standing starts because throttle can only be depressed after gear is selected. In other words when the red lights go out, the driver must only then, select 1st gear and floor the throttle.Of course by this time a GT40 is out in front and gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.
Foot on brake.
RT paddle for 1st.
Bring revs to 4.5K
When lights turn green release brake floor gas.
360 will do just fine.

Ron Earp

Admin
That will be a tough question to answer since specifications of GT40s differ so much. There are GT40s with a whole lot more power than a 360 has and would be unstoppable on power tracks. Chassis setup is all over the board too, and I'm sure varies greatly from car to car.

Ron

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Yes I should have stated that my car has 400 hp which is very close to the Ferrari 360 Modena power.You are right about the power Ron the 5-600hp Cobra won the championship this year easily but I did manage to come in 5th.Good handling does count on our circuits over here in OZ.
Jim we were called to 2 pre rece driver briefings where the Ferrari starting problem was explained to us as I have stated. However I haven't driven one so it must have been bullsh..t.Can you imagine a non Ferreri driver taking any notice of their so called problems anyway.we all just blasted past.So what is it then that makes them slow to get away from a standing start, some kind of clutch problem or just bogging down maybe.
Ross

People with $ who feel that reading the section in the owners manual which explains "Launch Control" is beneath them. If you don't you don't raise rpms you will bog.
Best
BTW they're both great cars and the CS is a great track car.
The 430 has some nice improvements as well. That said as I'm stuck in 1967 I still use right foot launch control myself.

Back