Final, final engine question

I know we have talked about this in the past but we had a foot of snow last night so I am limited on what I can do today!

So, I am going with a coyote based engine. That can be had for $6500 everywhere. That is my starting point. It would be fast enough in the new GTR to get you in trouble but I like the idea of a supercharger. I really don't want to put it on myself. I want to by a "crate" engine that is ready to drop in.

Most SC cost under $7000 complete. That's why I can't pay $17,000 for most of the packages I see out there. You would think you could get something for under $14,000 all in that would put you over 600hp.

I'm just curious if any of you have added a SC and know how difficult it is or if anyone has experience with a shop that can stay in budget and provide the turnkey package?

By the way, I know I don't need 600hp but it sounds better than 420!

Is your base engine price for the lower compression Coyote engine? It's ~$2k more at Ford's list price.
https://fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12763 said:
Unlike the factory 5.0L engine, the "Aluminator" is built with low compression forged pistons and H-beam connecting rods to meet the demands of forced induction.

I am talking about the base 11 to 1 compression engine. It is not the aluminator.
Unless you're going to use race fuel, I wouldn't supercharge an engine with an 11:1 compression ratio. You could have been including new pistons and rods in the $7k for a SC though.

I would expect any aftermarket, supercharged crate engine to be based on the Aluminator (stronger pistons and rods), which would decrease the cost difference that you noted by ~$2k, assuming that you didn't have them in the $7k SC cost.

There are two versions of the 5.0 Coyote aluminator engine. The XS version reports to have >500hp and has the taller cobra jet intake. It looks like they both have 11:1 compression ratio, so not really the best starting point for FI.

You might consider a Terminator motor for a 'drop in' motor with a supercharger. You can find a darn nice 03/04 cobra for <$20k. I know the stock blocks are iron, but many in the mustang/cobra crowd are building up alum teksid blocks to swap into their terminator.

You can find low mileage 03/04 motors for under $7k that don't need too much teaking to get close to 600hp.

I think you will find the following builds of great interest:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/26333-jasons-coyote-powered-rcr40-downunder.html
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/37149-darrins-gt-forte-coyote-roadrunner.html
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-build-logs/39327-renatos-gt-forte-gt40-mki-coyote.html

One of those is mine. Renato is using the stock Coyote so his is probably the closest to what you will face.

None of us run super chargers and to me, I wouldn't go that route. If I wanted more power (mine should make in excess of 500 FWIW) I'd just do a few tweaks....Cobra Jet intake, Comp Cams, maybe a head port (mine are max CNC ported and hand finished BOSS heads for example). If that didn't do then, I'd probably turbo charge.

You are talking a 2300-2500 lb car. You don't need any more torque than the Coyote will make anyway.

As for the FR9 it's a great engine for sure. That said it won't turn 8,000RPM all day, idle smoothly, and even get great mileage (should you care) like a mildly modified Coyote will.

Good luck!

I guess I was trying to have an engine that was something different in the GTR. Darrin, your probably right. I am sure I could do a cam change and a little tuning to end up with a great running engine with north of 500hp.

I might go with the Eight stack injection. That would look pretty good on the GTR.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Is this FR9 coyote based? The Hot Rod magazine article mentioned different cooling routing, but did not go into interchangeability with regards to other Ford engines.
Sure sounds like an interesting motor...sounds like it shares many characteristics with the GM LS series.

Cheers!

Doug

not sure, looks like a coyote to me.

DSC_8611.JPG

this has the uprated charge cooler in place.
DSC_8612.JPG

DSC_8615.JPG

Somethings getting lost in translation here. The FR9 motors in the link look like pushrod motors.

The pics up in post #11 dont look anything like them. Castings don't even look close and are clarly OHC with a large front timing cover.

Somethings getting lost in translation here. The FR9 motors in the link look like pushrod motors.

The pics up in post #11 dont look anything like them. Castings don't even look close and are clarly OHC with a large front timing cover.

FR9 has pushrods alright, none of them new fangled 4 valve head things!

Attachments

• M-6010-R500.jpg
    M-6010-R500.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 395
Dean:

If your looking for a shop relatively near with TONS of Ford experience: Anderson Ford in Clinton IL. They also have a great dyno and tuner. If you've spent any time around Fords in the last 30 years, you've likely heard of them.

If you go Aluminator, you'll want the "new" one that is Coyote based. You'll want or at least I'd want the one for forced induction. Hellion has pumped 1200hp through these as from Ford. If you get an older "Aluminator" (equally as strong, but give up the weight and head flow of the Coyote for a mod/aluminator. Why Ford kept the same name is probably marketing but makes little sense to me) it'll be the 4V mod motor but only old stock or second hand as Ford has stop carrying them.

Weekends a crap shoot for me, but during week I'm easy to borrow an ear. I do NOT by any means claim an expert, but have played with Fords for decades and have a bunch in barn.

Hi Dean Ed Johnson here-I intend to do the same combo in GT-R #7 on order.
Please give me a call or e-mail to discuss 541-549-9905

Yes, I think I jumped the gun there and didn't see or understand the reference to the FR9.

the photos i posted are of the Coyote engine as sold in the Australian Falcon.

Back