Finding a pre75 302 block

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to have ordered a chassis kit by now and got my build log started but the current world situation has put the mockers on that for me until at least the second half of this year :(. However i do love a bit of research and have been looking into the engine options in great detail. I am looking to build it myself and am after a pre75 302 block.
Does anyone have any sources for these other than ebay & Rodsnsods. After 6 months of looking and asking I was very close to getting one but it fell through, it seems these are very thin on the ground for reasonable money in the UK, particularly as the block is probably one of the few parts i'll need from the purchase.

Hi Doc, there weren’t that keen to supply me just a block even if it was reworked by them, preferred to sell me an engine

Shaun

Supporter
Hi Spike, I used this lot,
they did some work for me but were as I recall ok just offering the block as is. I too struggled as they are hens teeth now, I think the other issue I heard was that donors we had in the past are now no longer donors more classics in their own right which is a good thing, we have a crappy program here in the UK called Vintage Voltage where they electrify classics....All into people doing their own thing but why bastardise a perfectly good original classic to make it electric? Ferrari 308 anyone? Mind you in truth that did not have an engine but even so, BMW 2002??
Cheers

I have found an engine but I’m thinking it’s .040 according to the photo. My mate recons it could be referring to the bore I.e. 4.0 as there is no 0 at the beginning, anyone actually recognise these piston I’d markings?

Spike
96E7053E-FBA1-4E53-AC48-6958E640B069.jpeg

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
A reasonably accurate digital caliper can be purchased for less than $10 and if you don’t already have one in your small tools drawer, you should.
Clean the carbon from the top of the bore with a bit of scotch-brite pad or 400g sandpaper and measure it.

A reasonably accurate digital caliper can be purchased for less than $10 and if you don’t already have one in your small tools drawer, you should.
Clean the carbon from the top of the bore with a bit of scotch-brite pad or 400g sandpaper and measure it.
Thanks Randy, unfortunately this is not in my country and i'm not checking them, a friend is checking a couple out in Australia for me, and he is not that mechanical, but not without savvy luckily. The heads were already off of this one but he's possibly looking at 2 more this week, just waiting to hear if the heads can come off.

Spike

Yes, sorry-we call this car “Frankenstang”...
hardly anything is original. We are looking at a different drivetrain for the restoration.

Ed McClements

Supporter
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to have ordered a chassis kit by now and got my build log started but the current world situation has put the mockers on that for me until at least the second half of this year :(. However i do love a bit of research and have been looking into the engine options in great detail. I am looking to build it myself and am after a pre75 302 block.
Does anyone have any sources for these other than ebay & Rodsnsods. After 6 months of looking and asking I was very close to getting one but it fell through, it seems these are very thin on the ground for reasonable money in the UK, particularly as the block is probably one of the few parts i'll need from the purchase.

Couple on eBay UK at the moment:-

Back