Fire Extinguisher Mounting

Having one in the car was an afterthought once it was finished, but I really should install one for the peace of mind instead of carrying it around in the passenger seat. I searched to see how others did, but not finding much info out there. I'd prefer to put where most seem to, the area between the driver's seat and door on the vertical area. I suppose the floor may be easier since I have no manual ebrake and would be easier to securely mount.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to mount the bracket?

Del

I had perhaps a stupid thought. If the fire is in the engine bay and considering the steps needed to open the engine bay, would there be enough time to do all those things and put out the fire. Would a suppression system piped into the areas of concern be less risky? That fuel tank and system are very exposed if it’s fire. I’m sure and enclosed system would cost a ton of money......like I said just a dumb thought.

My plan is lots of insurance and if she catches, jump clear and hope for the best.....lol.

Del

I had perhaps a stupid thought. If the fire is in the engine bay and considering the steps needed to open the engine bay, would there be enough time to do all those things and put out the fire. Would a suppression system piped into the areas of concern be less risky? That fuel tank and system are very exposed if it’s fire. I’m sure and enclosed system would cost a ton of money......like I said just a dumb thought.

My plan is lots of insurance and if she catches, jump clear and hope for the best.....lol.

No dumb thought at all! Fire suppression system has crossed my mind and while I haven't looked very much into one, it seems like a pretty straight forward install. Most definitely lots of insurance and while there's probably no worries on a street car, I also wouldn't mind filling that void between the seat and the door with something. Looks naked, lol.

You can see my extinguisher mount in a few of the photos here:

https://socalslc.com/2018/09/16/49-working-from-the-inside-out/

A couple of bolts through the floor pan, no biggie. I have a H3R 2.5lb bottle, fits fine and doesn't get in the way.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/htr-hg250b/overview/

Here it is in action:

I plan to move quickly if my car is on fire; if I see smoke coming out the back that'll give me the extra adrenaline to move even quicker. Cars don't explode like they do in the movies.

Hopefully your firewall was designed with a fire in mind (sealed and covered with fire resistant materials); that should buy you some time to get out and pop the back. If it's a large fire a small handheld extinguisher's not going to do jack all but if it's small and can be put out ... give it a shot before the whole thing goes up.

An integrated fire suppression system is great and isn't that expensive all things considered. Nozzle placement would be key and you might or might not put it out; either way I'd want a bottle in the car.

It would suck to lose your car due to a small electrical or fuel leak fire that your bladder wasn't enough to put out. Fingers crossed that a passerby has a larger bladder, bottle of water, or fire extinguisher!

Thanks! I remember seeing your extinguisher installed at some point on your blog as well, just can't remember where. The floor is probably the best and easily to mount, especially knowing brand/model of what will fit for sure. While I've been following along all this time, now that I have a finished car, I really need to sit down and read it start to finish again. No doubt I'll find miscellaneous other ideas I would want to incorporate into mine, at least towards the end of yours. Speaking of, I still owe you a dB reading inside mine for comparison.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
An integrated fire suppression system is the ONLY way to go as far as virtually instantaneously snuffing an engine compartment fire out. 'Driver may not even be aware there IS a fire in a mid-engine car before the system puts it out!

'Would still be a good idea to have a hand-held extinguisher located in the passenger compartment as well 'just because'. ;-)

A Lotus Esprit. Two fire extinguishers were not enough. Timing really is critical. Nobody was hurt. This was during the California Targa this last weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20190608_105224.jpg
    IMG_20190608_105224.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 360

Howard Jones

Supporter
Del, You have asked the most important question. Do you open the rear engine cover to put the fire out? If all you have is a little handheld then it will be nearly impossible to put out anything other than a few drops of gas dripping from a low pressure system like a carb motor. Especially since you just have given the fire a huge source of fresh air when you opened the cover.

With a high pressure fuel injection system, man that is going to be a big problem but you can put it out with a fire system IF you don't open the back and flood the engine room with retardant. If you need to add more retardant then fire from ground level up under the rear of the car.

If you open the back you're fucked for sure! Unless you have a water hose handy. Even then spray from under the rear of the car and keep the top closed.

This is EXACTLY why you need a installed system. You can apply fire retardant to the engine room with out adding any more air. That is exactly how to put out a fire in an enclosed space.

5 pound minimum and if you have the space a 10 pounder. Where to put it? I put mine along side the passenger seat on the floor.

That's a very good point Howard about the fresh air when you open the clam. I'm fixing to order the handheld so I have something close by and out of the way right now, but definitely will look into the suppression system while my bank account recovers from paying the taxes on registering the car.

Neil

Supporter
The SCTA requires two nozzles in the engine compartment, pointed at the headers/oil pan since that is the most likely point for a fire if you blow the engine. A fuel leak fire would likely be on top of the engine. I'd recommend putting in a 10 lb Halon bottle with a pull or push knob to activate. It's good insurance.

Unless you've got closeouts your engine bay is fully exposed along the lower back half of the car and with the race tail you've got even more airflow coming at the engine. If there's a raging fire then a hand held won't do jack, I think we can all agree to that.

If you've got a small fire going that isn't so hot that you can't approach the vehicle it makes no sense to me not to try and save the car. We're not talking about a backdraft situation here where when you open the rear clam you suddenly create an explosive atmosphere. Who knows why there might be an engine bay fire; oil, gas, electrical, it could be anything. Kill your electrical and engine so you're not feeding the flames and do what you can. Or don't, it's your car.

My point? Bare minimum, install a hand held. Want more insurance? Install an extinguisher system in the engine bay, they're really not that expensive.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Here's something else to think about. What type of hand held? The dry chemical kind are a major cleanup event. Now granted, cleaning up your car is better than watching it burn but it's still a hassle.

Here's a 2.5 lb small handheld that is a "clean agent" type. These types of extinguishers have a non residue easy/minimum clean up. Not a cheap as the dry chemical but IMHO far better choice. Do not read into that my recommendation of that small of a system. but if you must carry a small hand held then this type would be my choice.

http://www.safetyemporium.com/09626

I believe the extinguisher Cam posted was a clean agent type as well, as was the price. I'll follow suit with what Cam got, I know it'll fit and have no general preference on brands in this case.

Glad I asked this question, tons of good information and exactly what I was needing to know/learn.

Back