Fire Suppression Systems

This is an interesting thread, and right up my alley. I’ve been involved in the design of fire detection and suppression systems in the oil industry in Alaska for the past 15 years. I’ve dealt with, designed or specified Halon 1301, FM 200, Novec 1230, Dry Chemical, Water Mist, CO2 and AFFF systems mostly in hydrocarbon handling facilities. I won’t even claim to be an expert, but have a pretty good grasp on the various systems, strengths, weaknesses and issues that most sales reps don’t have the technical savvy to be aware of.

I’m sure most people are aware of the fire triangle, i.e. you need fuel, air and heat to start and maintain a fire. Fire suppression looks at breaking that triangle, and different agents attack the triangle in different ways and sometimes in a combination of ways. It’s important to understand that the Halocarbon and Fluorocarbon agents i.e. what are often referred to as clean agents act not by breaking the triangle in the conventional manner, rather than interact with the chemical reaction of pyrolysis. I.e. as the heat of the fire causes the clean agent gas to break down, the fuel would rather chemically react with the byproducts of the breaking down clean agent system than with the oxygen in air. If you’ve ever had a chance to use a Halon 1211 hand held fire extinguisher on a fire you’d agree that it seems like magic how it puts out the fire.

Looking at the various agents with a brief discussion of pros and cons, and issues with the agents:

Clean agents. Essentially they all work via the same mechanism. The reason they were so popular is they you could discharge a system into an area and unlike CO2, you wouldn’t kill the occupants, and there would be nothing to clean up after the discharge. That is all good and fine provided there is no fire in the enclosure. If there is a fire, the agent breaks down, the byproducts of the agent breaking down are Fluoric and Bromic acid and breathing those acids will ruin your lungs. Also those acids would ruin expensive equipment which is what lead to the development of water mist for turbine enclosures. As far as what agent is best, the newer agents do a wonderful job of putting out fires, really no different than Halon 1301. In general their weakness in comparison to Halon 1301 is that they need to be applied in concentrations that are very close to the concentration where they will cause health effects. Clean agents work well for class A, B and C fires and in three dimensional fires i.e. both pool fires, and spray or jet fires. For use in automobiles, they are probably the best choice of a suppression agent provided you can contain the agent for a sufficient amount of time to put out the fire. If you’re going to discharge into the cockpit, you really need to do some concentration analysis to make sure you aren’t putting yourself at risk. On the plus side, it is an extremely fast acting agent and a properly designed system will have the fire out in seconds, but if you have hot surfaces that could cause fuel or oil to reignite, you’ll need to keep the concentration of the agent in the engine bay long enough to prevent re-ignition or to allow you to bring the vehicle to a stop and exit it.

Water mist looked like the wonder replacement for clean agents. It uses water but in extremely small quantities by generating essentially a fog. There are no nasty byproducts to wreck your lungs should you be in a fire and a water mist system discharges. The down side is you’ll be in an extremely dense fog where you’ll have difficulty seeing. The real downside of water mist is that it works best when you have a large fire in a small enclosure where the fire is actively respirating and draws the water mist to the fire where the water droplets flash to steam and both reduce the oxygen and cool the fire. The downside is that it is a relatively slow acting agent. I’m not aware of water mist systems sized for cars, and as you’d need both a water bottle and a nitrogen bottle to pressurize the water and drive it through the discharge piping it would take up a lot of space. In general I’m not a fan of water mist except for very specialized applications and I’ve seen it used in many applications where I consider it not the best choice.

Someone mentioned AFFF. I’ll try to keep it brief. With a low expansion system you’re limited to pool fires as the purpose of the agent is to smother and cool the pool of hydrocarbons. Really not appropriate for 3 dimensional fires in an engine bay and you’d need water, a means of pressurizing the water, and the AFF agent, even bulkier than water mist and I’m not aware of a system sized for an engine bay. High expansion would solve the issue of a 3 dimensional fire. Either system discharged in an engine bay would make for a serious road hazard for anyone driving behind you.

The last system to look at would be dry chemical. It’s still not well understood how exactly dry chemical stops a fire, it sort of works like a clean agent, and sort of works to break the oxygen chain. Anyhow, it is very effective on hydrocarbon fires. The upside compared to a clean agent is that you don’t have the same issue of keeping the agent contained in the area with the fire, but you do have to be concerned that your system discharges to where the fire is located. As mentioned previously it is somewhat corrosive and cleanup can be a pita. Personally I think a hand held dry chem extinguisher would be well paired to a clean agent bottle for the engine bay.

I hope I wasn’t too verbose.

This is an interesting thread, and right up my alley. I’ve been involved in the design of fire detection and suppression systems in the oil industry in Alaska for the past 15 years. I’ve dealt with, designed or specified Halon 1301, FM 200, Novec 1230, Dry Chemical, Water Mist, CO2 and AFFF systems mostly in hydrocarbon handling facilities. I won’t even claim to be an expert, but have a pretty good grasp on the various systems, strengths, weaknesses and issues that most sales reps don’t have the technical savvy to be aware of.

Welcome, Paul! I am glad we have someone with your expertise and experience on the forum. :)

So, it sounds as if you worked with fire suppression systems for fixed structures, am I right? Please tell me, if I am in error!

Fires in a car are complicated by other factors such as motion, perhaps, vehicle damage and other factors I may not be aware of. I am NOT saying you don't know that, Paul, I am just bringing it up.

How about if we have an example which would be close (not identical) to a situation we would experience in our SLC's? An example is not pleasant, but it something we can analyze and help us in selecting our SLC fire suppression systems.

The accident is to a Lamborghini Gallardo. It occurred during the May 22, 2010 round of the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo. Giorgio Bartocci crashed his car at the start of the first race of the weekend.

Here are views of the crash from opposite sides of the track.

This particular video has some sappy extraneous material: please disregard that.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAgFK5M2PRM]Horrible crash Brno || Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 BURNS || - YouTube[/ame]

The view from the other side:

Lamborghini Gallardo GT Accident ( Race at Brno ) - YouTube

We do NOT want to criticize the safety crews, the track, the car, or anything else. We DO want to look at the FIRE, the other damage to the car, and how this will help us choose and install fire suppression systems in our SLC's. That is all.

Please, everyone: chime in.

Les

Last edited:
Welcome, Paul! I am glad we have someone with your expertise and experience on the forum. :)

So, it sounds as if you worked with fire suppression systems for fixed structures, am I right? Please tell me, if I am in error!

Fires in a car are complicated by other factors such as motion, perhaps, vehicle damage and other factors I may not be aware of. I am NOT saying you don't know that, Paul, I am just bringing it up.

How about if we have an example which would be close (not identical) to a situation we would experience in our SLC's? An example is not pleasant, but it something we can analyze and help us in selecting our SLC fire suppression systems.

The accident is to a Lamborghini Gallardo. It occurred during the May 22, 2010 round of the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo. Giorgio Bartocci crashed his car at the start of the first race of the weekend.

Here are views of the crash from opposite sides of the track.

This particular video has some sappy extraneous material: please disregard that.

Horrible crash Brno || Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4 BURNS || - YouTube

The view from the other side:

Lamborghini Gallardo GT Accident ( Race at Brno ) - YouTube

We do NOT want to criticize the safety crews, the track, the car, or anything else. We DO want to look at the FIRE, the other damage to the car, and how this will help us choose and install fire suppression systems in our SLC's. That is all.

Please, everyone: chime in.

Les

Les, I respect the fact that you stated: “we don't want to criticize the fire fighters...etc.” I watched this agonizing video 4 times and it's extremely difficult NOT to be critical. The first 8 responders (notice that I'm not referring to them as fire fighters, because that would be an injustice (demeaning) to professional fire fighters around the world) waist ed valuable time by chasing flames and smoke, rather then directing the flow of their various extinguishing agents at the base of the fire! Fire typically burns up, not down; therefore, you can chase flames and smoke all day and never....I repeat “NEVER” extinguish the fire. This is basic fire fighting 101! I could go on and on critiquing the response; but that was not the intent of your post.

However, I would be remiss if I didn't state that video's such as this leave the average untrained individual with the impression that portable fire extinguishers are useless. That is extremely unfortunate because nothing could be further from the truth! I speculate that if the first 4 responders had used their portable fire extinguisher properly, they could have at a minimum contained the spill and possibly even extinguished the fire. If nothing else, this video effectively dramatizes the necessity for first responders to be properly trained!

It's difficult to speculate on how effective an on-board fire suppression system would have been in this incidence without knowing the source and origin of the fire. I suspect that the origin most likely was in the engine compartment and further suspect that the fuel cell and/or a fuel line was ruptured. Both of these scenarios complicate fire suppression and make fire extinguishment almost impossible for any on-board fire system. The video shows that in a very short period of time, the semi-contained fire quickly turned into a very complex fire due to the fuel spill which spread outside the confines of the vehicle and began surrounding the vehicle. Once this occurred, it far exceed the capabilities of any on-board fire system, regardless of the extinguishing agent!

When I was considering what fire suppression agent I wanted in my SL-C, my sole goal was simple. All I wanted was an effective on-board agent that would suppress the fire long enough to allow me enough time to make safe egress from the vehicle. If the fire suppression system actually extinguished the fire....well, that would be fantastic. However, if the the car burned to the ground once I safely escaped....at least I would be alive and able to buy a new car!

FM-200 was my agent of choice and Fire-Trak (see post #20 on this thread) was the my delivery hardware of choice; complemented with a 5lbs. Halotron portable fire extinguisher mounted within easy reach from the drivers seat.
Jim

Back