Fire Systems...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Scott,
No - far from it.
:pepper: :lol: rockonsmile
Just a little bit of mirth from this side of the pond.
Partial Insanity is a pre requisite for the GT40 world.
:chug:
Some aeroplane technology sits easily with these cars anyway.
Dave M
:cool:Going on my annual holiday tomorrow:coolgleam:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Here is a couple of shots at the stuff that came in the box. I got the RS 10lb unit.

Sandy

Attachments

• P1000945.jpg
    P1000945.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 368
  • P1000949.jpg
    P1000949.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 346

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Since thinking about it, I'll toss the question out -

Who has their Halon system (tank) in the front compartment? In the cabin, or in the back?

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
David -

Thanks, I didn't think of that spot. I was looking more in the foot well area. But the I think the tank and head assembly is too long for the area in front of the seat as it's not very wide. The 10lb tank is long with the head but I would rather sacrafice passenger comfort then going to a 5lb system. The GT40 does not have loads of room for the gadgets that's for sure.

Sandy

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I like the setup at the edge of the seat. Looks like a great way to utilize the space. I'll have to see what will fit. Interesting about the nozzles, Neal it looks like a Safecraft, did you use the 3 port nozzles or the 1 ports for the engine area?

Sandy

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
It's the same setup you have Sandy less the polishbling. Three port nozzles in the rear. They are located low enough for the clip to close inline with the outer edges of the rear window. They should cover headers to carbs should I ever need to discharge. :eek:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Neal, I think yours is the LT version of the tank and I have the RS version which uses a different head and tank. Will just have to see if it fits, might just make it, or might be worth looking at that style of tank and head in 10lbs size. As that really tucks in nicely.

Sandy

Now that five years have passed, has the opinions on FE36 evolved? Now, what is the preferred substance for suppressing fires in a GT40?

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Can't say, but it's a raging debate if you do search the web (Like Syntetic vs. Mineral oils). Some people argue that none of them like Halon based or FE36 are as good as AFFF style in the cockpit due to dangers of asphixiation (SP?). AFFF seem to have their own issues (maintenance, effectiveness, ??). I hope to never find out directly ;)

In some discussion a long while back with the folks at Safecraft they said that Halon 1211 was still the king of supression, but not sure if FE36 had crossed their paths enough at that time to have an opinion.

What's interesting is that Dupont's web site regularly mentions FE36 is as good as 1211 and I think most sanctioning racing recogonize it as an effective replacement.

So the main point might be to have a functioning and correctly sized system(s) in the cars cockpit and engine compartment.

Sandy

Back