First Drive

Re: First Drive - User Error!

Well folks, it looks like I can blame the stupid installer (me) for all my woes.

It turns out that Koso gauge is NOT fried and it was just shutting down to protect the internal circuits as there was a short in the speed sensor wiring. After tracing all the wiring circuits, I found the short; looks like the first go-kart run jostled the wiring and shorted out.
I rewrapped everything, plugged in the old Koso and it works!

I can now go back to see if the tach wiring is okay!! (likely as it was working before the test drive!).

Chock another problem up to incompetence.

Thanks to all who provided responses and tried to help me.

Steven Lobel

Supporter
Re: First Drive - User Error!

Well folks, it looks like I can blame the stupid installer (me) for all my woes.

It turns out that Koso gauge is NOT fried and it was just shutting down to protect the internal circuits as there was a short in the speed sensor wiring. After tracing all the wiring circuits, I found the short; looks like the first go-kart run jostled the wiring and shorted out.
I rewrapped everything, plugged in the old Koso and it works!

I can now go back to see if the tach wiring is okay!! (likely as it was working before the test drive!).

Chock another problem up to incompetence.

Thanks to all who provided responses and tried to help me.

Where was the short in the wiring located?

Steven, the short was between the ground and power wires to the Koso speed sensor. I am using the Dakota Digital GPS unit to drive the speedometer and the LS3 ECU. The DD unit feeds speed directly to the Koso gauge and doesn't require any power, so I just cut off the power and ground wires. The cut wasn't very clean and stray wires touched with movement during the test drive.

Re: First Drive - Followup

Some last thoughts:
I tried to get a tach signal without the pull-up resistor - does not work with the Koso; added it back in and it now works fine. This suggests that my original wiring was all correct and all these problems were caused by a simple short in the speed sensor wiring.
Also, it seems that the Koso has no problems with 12 volt signal wires so I don't know what the tech guy at Koso was feeding me that got me paranoid - the gauge was not fried after all.
All is well now.:thumbsup:

Back