Flat tire

What are the options when one gets a flat on a road trip?

1. Try that repair/sealant leak stuff in a can?
2. FED EX fresh rubber in for the next morning (you have a set at home or order from the manufacturer)?
3. Hope the gagrage you get a tow to has a 335/35/17 in stock?

Why couldn't you just have it patched or plug it? If the hole is not in the sidewall, a patch should be fine for road use. You can buy kits that let you put a plug in without removing the tire - can keep you limping along until you can get a proper repair or replace the tire...

Option 4. Swap your car for a GT40 that has space for a spare wheel in the front compartment?

Rob

MWGT40

Supporter
The stuff that comes in an aerosol does work. Andrew Fordyce and I were driving back in our 40s a few months ago from Lydden Circuit where we had just done a sprint and he got a puncture in one of his front tyres. He "repaired" the tyre with that gunk and it managed to get him home - which was about another 30 miles away.

Martin

Has any tried using one of the space saver tyres? ( the thin ones) It will look a little silly but I suspect would get you home. It wouldn't have a problem fitting in the front compartment.

Just a thought

Cheers

John

If I remember correctly from an article I read some time ago, the Laborghini Diablo was not supplied with a spare tyre. It was however supplied with a can of the quick-fix.

They also made a good argument in that the spare tyer was a leftover from the days when tyers were basically a big balloon. Modern tyers do not "pop" as they did in days gone by - even with a nail stuck in them. Its very very rare to get a flat these days without lots of advanced warning... enough to be able to drive the ofending tyre to a repair shop.

Another thought. Maybe if one was to fill a tyre's-worth of space with other spare parts such as radiator hoses, coils, emergency fuel, jumper-leads, ignition leads etc etc you would probably find yourself getting stranded far less often than if it were taken up by a solitary spare tyre.

The only detriment to the can of "fix-a-flat" is the residual glue on the inside of the rim and tire. It needs to be cleaned out, before a radial patch can be applied to the hole. If "fix-a-flat" gets you home, then by all means use it. The guy who repairs the tire can deal with the mess. I always keep two cans in my car, just in case. It's a lot lighter than a spare tire, and easier to use!

Don't forget that relying on a spare that is of the space saver variety means you may have trouble finding a place for the flat tire and rim.

As someone suggested at the NEC recently, that's when your flat tyre goes in the passenger seat and your passenger walks home.

Rob
"Life begins at 40"

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
How about one of those really tiny fold up motorised scooters to send the ejected passenger home on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Max (possibly being a little madder than normal) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Please guy's use the fix-it foam, get home, clean the wheel rim up of glue, and throw that tyre straight away into the trash before your even tempted to have it " repaired ". Don't jeopardise all the hours and money invested into your 40 by running on suspect rubber. Tyres like some other items made of rubber should only be used once!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Mike.

Fix-a-flat will fill a tire without jacking the car up. I have used it on heavy vehicles, and it worked fine without the use of a jack, although additional air (much larger tires)was required to get the tire pressure up to snuff.
I carry two cans of fix a flat and a small 12 volt compressor, which equals about forty pounds less than a spare and a jack.

Bill

Howard Jones

Supporter
I would love to see pictures of someones car with the spare tire installed in the car. The spare carry-a-long position not on the hub. I for the life of me can't find room for even a mini spacesafer type in my car like the one that is in the trunk o my wifes saturn.

How would you do a pindrive knockoff?

I think I will carry along a cell phone and get one of those flatbed type trucks to take me to a repair location.

1.Slowly (very slowly)creep that 1km to the next service station, keeping that flat tyre in the grass to avoid damage to the rim
2.Wait for the flat tyre to cool down
3.Carefully try to re-inflate the tyre,first to 10psig
4.When it appears to hold the air slowly bump the pressure up to 20psig
5.After the tyre has gone bust with a loud bang you ring a friend who picks you up with his trailer

Back