Flowmaster DBX mufflers

Can’t find who used the FLow Master DBX round mufflers, but if you did, what is your opinion, quiet, loud etc. I’m using Magnaflow and not impressed.

Thanks Roger. I recalled someone used them......never got back to Bills build. They are a bit bigger than the Magnaflow I have but they may be a solution. I remember the debate over the Vortex cones.

Mark B.

Supporter
I'm using them on my build as well. I had to move the brackets for the rear support rods in by about 1/2" to get them to fit between the frame and the support rods, but they do fit. I can grab some pics if you'd like.
Here's a dyno run with a view from the back. They're still reasonably loud, but the engine has a pretty big solid roller cam so on a crate motor they'd be much more tame. This is with LS7 headers and cats as well.

Johan

Supporter
Dan, I’m using the DXB Flowmaster and as stated above I had to move the mounts for the support rods as well, think I moved them at least 25,4mm.(That’s metric for an inch)
It’s very tight but it works. I had to modify the muffler slightly to get a reasonable clearance to shifter cables and I’m just about to fabricate the heat shield. Will post pics later on my thread.

Merry Cristmas

Definitely want to see pics of what you both had to do. Much appreciated.

They didn’t seem too bad on the dyno pull.

Johan

Supporter
The sound is to my liking, but I’m just using a stock LS3 (430hp), LS7 exhaust manifolds with Flowmaster cats.

Mark B.

Supporter
Here are some pics I just took. I cut 3/4" strips of stainless sheet to make the mounting straps. Clearance is about 1/4" to the rods/frame (maybe 1/8" to the upper A-arm bolt which is the tightest point).

20181223_114844.jpg
20181223_114902.jpg
20181223_114913.jpg
20181223_114919.jpg
20181223_114931.jpg

Neil

Supporter
Using a dab of red lacquer on fasteners to indicate that they have been torqued/tightened is a good practice.

Mark B.

Supporter
Here you go, Dan. Car is in the garage so I couldn't get any farther back for better perspective.
Neil, the paint I used is "Dykem Cross-Check Torque Seal." Comes in a tube so it's easy to apply and works great for marking torqued nuts/bolts.
20181224_140156.jpg
20181224_140214.jpg
20181224_140216.jpg

Neil

Supporter
Mark;

It is a brittle lacquer so it also shatters if the fastener is turned or comes loose. it is a good product.

The transaxle isn’t being fully supported/restrained in that setup. 2 bars going to each pickup will keep the trans from wanting to rotate or translate.

A bit difficult to see with everything in the way but you can make out the short and long bars on each side.

tB8jFRo.jpg

Mark B.

Supporter
Thanks Cam and Ed. I wasn't really worried as I've seen several with only two supports. That and the Ricardo only has a single mounting point at the very top. That being said, better safe than sorry -- I'll look at adding in some bracing at the sides or top :).
Thanks!

Howard Jones

Supporter
Where are the rods that go from the top big horizontal X brace down at a angle (from the tabs with the holes in them) to the lower inter double shear bracket on the vertical solid chassis tubes. I can't see them? Not installed yet? These two rods triangulate the entire rear of the chassis and are absolutely required. Without them all of the rear suspension pickup points will move around. That is a very bad condition. It looks like you used them to locate the gearbox?

Seen on my car below. The black painted tubing with rod ends on both ends.

Just checking.

Attachments

• HPIM1246.jpg
    HPIM1246.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 364
Howard - Mark’s got the bars installed from the chassis brace to lower frame rail. It’s not installed in the photos I’ve shown as that was an in-progress pic. They’re installed on my car as well.

Took me a while to find! Believe it or not I have over 5000 SLC related photos/videos that I took during my build! Here’s a pic that shows all the links installed, somewhat obscured by the trans and diffuser but you get the idea.

JimrmwZ.jpg

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ok great. Just checkin and looking out for my buds. By the way check and see if both sides of that tab (one at top of link in question) on the big X brace are welded. Mine cracked and I needed to reweld both sides.

Back