Ford casting numbers

I have a Ford 302 engine that is suposed to be from -84 it is a 5.0 HO fuel injected,but the casting numbers seams to be strange..
cant find any info to make out the year or anything..:/

U2G20...this is the numbers..someone ho knows what it stands for?

/Dogge

Where did you find that #? If it is 84 it should begin with E or possibly D. The casting # you need should be just above the starter location on the block.

could it not be C6JE or C6TE because the second digit is a numeral,on the third digit a letter is used and i is not used,the forth is usually E for engine dept .the number is directly above the starter motor mount visible when the starter is fitted at its rear most point near the upper mounting bolt threaded point

Ford part numbers are usually in the form of "C8OF-9510-C"
The 9510 is the basic part, in this case a carb.
The C8OF is decoded as C meaning 1960s
The 8 meaning the 8th year or C8 meaning 1968
D5 would be 1975
The OF means the series the part was designed for.
C7ZZ parts are specificly for a 1967 Mustang.
The C on the end is the rev or mod level for the part.

For a 302 the number should be C8AE or higher. So look in the areas mentioned and see if you see anything resembling this format. For a 1984 engine I think the block is a 6010 so I would expect to find something like E4AE-6010-A maybe even a E3 or E2 if it was a block from a previous years casting run.
Here are a couple sites that have good descriptions on decoding Ford part numbers.

Guide to Decoding Ford Part Numbers - ClassicMustang.com

Ford Part Numbers

Wayne

Last edited:
I found another number stampled with dots on the deck surfes..

MY603966
and the number on the starter location is not CG18
it is 0G18 no doubt about that..
and one number is u2G20 the first u lock like a halv zero

I cant find any other numbers..
on the other parts i have the E numbers like E5AE for the wather pump pully for example
and E6SE for the EFI Manifold

realy strange this..:/

Usually the latest # you can find on any major part that is unlikely to have been replaced indicates closest to the year of production. So for example your EFI Manifolds @ E6SE is 1986 or later since its possible that that model manifold could be used for several years of production- conversly it could also have been retrofitted to an earlier motor by a previous owner.

0G18 Date Code of the block = July 18, 1970, 1980 or 1990.
Without the part/casting number you can not tell what the exact year is unless you pull the intake off and look at the lifters/tappets. ('68-'84 mechanical, hydraulic lifter or '85 to late 90's roller lifters)

Last edited:
Back