found an interesting project

Does make you wonder how such a successful and wealthy man could be so stupid. Those two ls engines and associated mechanical devices + the transaxle weight must top 1500lbs , they are talking about a carbon fibre and Kevlar ultra light bodied sports car with over half a ton of mechanical pendulum in the back.It must also be mounted very high in the chassis to get the exhaust to exit the downward facing cylinder heads. Must be the heat.

Bob

It dose come with a we bit of a pedigree, as its being Done buy the same Team that brought us the Mid engined Giocattolo Aussie V8 Supercar of the 80's and the Detomaso Panterra "Bianca" that dominated sports car racing in 80's..
they do know what their doing.
cheers John

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter

Why opt for 14 liters of LS versus a boosted V-8? Seems like you're trading a couple hundred pounds of turbo and intercooler overhead for another 400-500lbs of engine, plus another couple hundred lbs more in the transfer case and engine coupling, so you'd have to be 400-500 lb disadvantage on power/weight versus turbo cars....right? Perhaps the bigger challenge is packaging that beast as it will certainly take up a lot of real estate. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

Best,
K

It dose come with a we bit of a pedigree, as its being Done buy the same Team that brought us the Mid engined Giocattolo Aussie V8 Supercar of the 80's and the Detomaso Panterra "Bianca" that dominated sports car racing in 80's..
they do know what their doing.
cheers John

I am with Kelly on this, those target HP figures are easily achieved with a single boosted LS engine. I appreciate the fact that they have racing history from yesteryear but it seems they are stuck in a time warp. Bring eighties technology to the race track today and you will be nowhere. Anyhow there are folk within this forum that could piece together a Buggati eater with a fraction of the budget they are running.

Bob

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
It's stupid only if the goal is cheap HP, but judging from this guy's background and the team he's working with, they're not chasing cheap.

I think it's a great exercise in the unconventional. It would be a rich, curious engineer's dream project. Kudos to them for attempting it.

I'll be very interested to see what they do for an oiling system on a pair of V8's laid over 45 degrees.

I'll be very interested to see what they do for an oiling system on a pair of V8's laid over 45 degrees.

I would imagine that with that gap between the engines they would share a co joined dry sump system. It would not be that much different to a porsche flat engine in terms of oiling/scavenging.As far as the project goes I still cant help but think they are not reinventing the wheel here. That turbo ls engine makes much more sense no matter what the goal is.

Bob

Back