Front end mounts

Debating in my mind which mounting method to do with the front. Pivot mounts or slide back horseshoes.

For those with pivots, do you find it actually useful or just more showy?

Those that have horseshoe mounts, do you wish it pivoted or do you find yourself really never needing it opened that way?

Thanks to those who answer.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If you want to be more like the originals, the slide-on bobbin mounts are the way to go.
But…
If you ever want to open that front clip without any assistance, you’ll look into building your front tilt mounts.

The front pivot mounts are not standard and you’d be hard pressed to find any that are available off the shelf.

Thank you for that input Randy.

I believe I will go with the front pivoting. I am going to make them per the drawings from the GT40 Uncovered book.

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Thank you for that input Randy.

I believe I will go with the front pivoting. I am going to make them per the drawings from the GT40 Uncovered book.
Douglas, I had not heard about the GT40 Uncovered book. There are fewer than 25 left of the 365 printing run. The price is crazy high, but I bought a copy anyway. Hope it is as good as it looks. Cheers, Randy

Dougals, I just discussed this subject in my post a few days ago, I discovered what was the bobbin mount. In my stock of parts I had the bushings for the horse shoes. I experimented both, because my car is equiped with the rotating cover.
The difference is obvious, if you are alone to do the mechanic on your car the only choice is rotation, is you have allways somebody that may help you, you can think to use the other solution.
Regarding the history, I founed this photo in the book on Ken Miles, that prove that the rotation was used :
1714717733143.png

@jmcgalaxie what Ken Miles book is that from?

The car in the picture is GT103 at Daytona in 1965. Number #73, note the radiator refill in the lower part of the B pillar. It is fitted with the early prototype nose and radiator support arrangement. This is at least 4" shorter than the latter nose, so if you are going to use the drawing from GT40 uncovered, i suspect the position would need to move forward 4"

Last edited:
This is from my build diary,
53675913120_db3543be76_z.jpg

53674578612_4a74097ba0_z.jpg

You can see the orange side plate and the grey nose extension panel underneath. These are based on the latter drawings for the production cars, whereas the red bit on the side is for the early prototype and first 4 production chassis. I'm still working on this in CAD so don't have a full understanding of it at present.

GT103 as pictured above is what I would like to build.

Adam C.

GT40s Sponsor
I’m currently working on a complete front-mount kit (slide-on). It will include horseshoes, doublers, studs, bobbins and the locating cones that go on the rocker panels.

The studs in both the bobbins and horseshoes are brazed in place, and everything is plated. The bobbins are eccentric for adjustment.

The system works very well, but it does require a friend to remove/install.

I’m currently working on a complete front-mount kit (slide-on). It will include horseshoes, doublers, studs, bobbins and the locating cones that go on the rocker panels.

The studs in both the bobbins and horseshoes are brazed in place, and everything is plated. The bobbins are eccentric for adjustment.

The system works very well, but it does require a friend to remove/install.
But the print for the front bobbins states that they are to be threaded 5/16UNF, are they threaded into the bobbin and then brazed ?

@jmcgalaxie what Ken Miles book is that from?

The car in the picture is GT103 at Daytona in 1965. Number #73, note the radiator refill in the lower part of the B pillar. It is fitted with the early prototype nose and radiator support arrangement. This is at least 4" shorter than the latter nose, so if you are going to use the drawing from GT40 uncovered, i suspect the position would need to move forward 4"
Everything on mine so far has been to cut, refit, and weld back up. So nothing on mine is true to spec but fit to appear as I can. Especially up front, the radiator, condenser and intercooler take up room....but that is why I went with a space replica setup. Because I want it truly mine.

Great drawing of the front mount. Do you also have drawing of the rear mount? I'm building them out of 1/2 aluminum extrusion, and drawings would be great.

Rob Klein

Supporter
This is a really good thread, and would be a great retrofit kit for all those who want the front end to lift. I feel like almost all SPF owners would want this option.

This is GT104 at Lemans trials in 65 if it remember correctly. Fitted with the prototype long nose for testing.

I am presuming it is still using the same pivot point as the original short nose.

Maybe someone car work out how to make the image show.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter

This is GT104 at Lemans trials in 65 if it remember correctly. Fitted with the prototype long nose for testing.

I am presuming it is still using the same pivot point as the original short nose.

Maybe someone car work out how to make the image show.
"No such a thing as a free lunch" ... all of the time.

Back